College in China

One of my favorite places that we have visited through this program was CUMT, the college we visited while in Beijing. As a college student in the United States, it was so interesting to get to see what college is like in China and without this program I don’t think I ever would have been able to do that. There are many differences between CUMT and Penn State. For instance, the dorms. At CUMT, there were completely different dorm buildings for boys and girls and all students have to go to a completely separate building to take their showers. This came as a shock to me because during my freshman year I shared a floor with boys and our showers were in the bathrooms on our floor. Another huge difference was the size of the campus. CUMT’s campus is practically a perfect square and easily walkable within about 10 minutes; Penn State’s campus is overwhelming in comparison. From having conversations with students, I could tell that the size of Penn State made them very nervous to transfer there. The students were so welcoming and so interested to converse with us American students. Some students showed us around the campus and even showed us how to write our names in Chinese. Overall it was so fun and interesting to be able to witness the college experience in China.