Terra Cotta Warriors

Our stay in Xi’an was one of the shortest of the entire trip but I felt that we hit upon some of the most important and thrilling aspects of one of the oldest cities in China. After coming from some of the larger, modern cities such as Beijing and Dalian, it was refreshing to travel to this capital that is invested in its history. While I am sure there are plenty of other sites we could have visited in Xi’an, I am overjoyed that we at least traveled to Lintong to see what is considered one of the “Eight Wonders of the World.” The Terra Cotta Warriors exhibition was by far my favorite tourist site we visited during the entire trip. The amount of pictures I took at Pit 1 alone was excessive, let alone how many I took over the course of the day; but I felt it was necessary it capture every angle possible of these pits to fully grasp and recognize what we were observing. I wish I had a better lens or could have gotten closer for more details but these life size terracotta soldiers essentially show the craftsmanship of China from over 2000 years ago and the loyalty the people had towards their Emperor to craft such a large army. I was happy to be able to bring back home a piece of such astonishing artwork, and my father was certainly happy to receive this statue knowing how much he appreciated this site too. At the time we visited, there was roughly around 8,000 soldiers on display and knowing that more are constantly being discovered and restored, I hope to return one day to see more presented.
May 17, 2016