The Importance of School in Chinese Culture

Wen first visited Chinese University of Mining of Technology before the Number 7 school in Dalian hence I got the impression of Chinese culture first. From the first time stepping on campus there was a complete different feel than Penn State. first of all, most of the buildings and labs don’t even come close to the quality of Penn State however they appreciate the tools they have. Talking to the lab members as well as a few other kids, you can tell how serious schooling is. Naturally we asked if they go out and drink as well as what they do for fun. Their facial expressions said it all as they laughed and said they play basketball and go out to eat for fun. Drinking isn’t in their culture as students, its truly all about studying and doing well in school. Then we went to the school in Dalian and I got a good understanding as to why the Chinese grow up with that mentality. Even as young kids their weekends are full of doing homework. Not to mention the fact that they go to school from about 7 am to 5 pm. Their summer is only about a month as well. The Chinese schooling system is very different, it has its pros and cons but I have never seen people take school/studying more serious in my life. Not too many students come close to the dedication the Chinese students have.

Jordan Gitzen jcg5471