Pilot Project Grantees

Penn State’s Childhood Obesity Prevention Training Program has funded 17 pilot projects to support student-led research on childhood obesity prevention. All graduate students from the College of Health and Human Development were invited to submit proposals for this competitive grant mechanism. Proposals were reviewed by an external review board based on:

• Significance: Does the project address an important problem or critical barrier for childhood obesity research? Are the project’s translational goals clear and compelling?
  • Investigators: Do the PI and collaborators have the expertise needed to conduct the project?
  • Innovation: Does the project include a novel approach to solving a problem in childhood obesity research?
  • Approach: Are the procedures and analysis plans well-reasoned and appropriate to accomplish the specific aims? Will the project provide the foundation for a compelling proposal for external funding and/or publication?
  • Feasibility: Is the question proposed able to be answered with the allotted time and money?
  • Likelihood of Future Success: How well does the project contribute to the supervising faculty mentor’s overall research program?

The Principal Investigators (PI’s) Co-Investigators (CO-I’s), Collaborators, and project titles for the grantees are listed below:

1. PI Jessica Braymiller
    CO-I Charles Geier, Kathleen Keller, Nicole Roberts, Shana Adise
    Neural underpinnings of reward sensitivity in overweight and healthy weight adolescents
  2. PI Nicole Roberts
    CO-I Charles Geier and Kathleen Keller, Shana Adise
    Examining reward sensitivity, impulsivity, and habituation in healthy weight and overweight adolescents
  3. PI S. Nicole Fearnbach
    CO-I Kathleen Keller, Collaborators: Danielle Downs, David Thivel
    The impact of an acute bout of exercise on children’s eating behaviors
  4. PI Heather Allaway & Jay Lieberman
    CO-I Nancy Williams, Mary Jane DeSouza, Karsten Koehler, Barbara Rolls
    The impact of weight loss due to calorie restriction on food intake following acute exercise in overweight young women: Role of eating behavior phenotypes and appetite regulating hormones
  5. PI Wendy Stein
    CO-I Kathleen Keller
    A pilot study to test children’s willingness to try, liking, and intake of foods with novel spice blends
  6. PI Shana Adise
    CO-I Kathleen Keller, Charles Geier, Nicole Roberts
    Understanding decision-making and reward for food choice in overweight and healthy weight children
  7. PI Samantha Kling
    CO-I Barbara Rolls
    The effects of different beverages on eating behavior in preschool children
  8. PI Alissa Smethers
    CO-I Barbara Rolls
    The effects of varying portion size over 5 days in preschool children
  9. PI Allison Doub
    CO-I Tim Brick, Meg Small
    Collaborator Leann Birch, Sarita Yardi Schoenbeck
    Maternal uses of websites, social media, and mobile applications to gather and share child feeding practices information
  10. PI Jennifer Ford & Rachel Walker
    CO-I Greg Shearer
    Collaborator Mike Green
    Identifying an accurate and feasible test to measure risk for obesity-related early onset Type 2 diabetes in children: A compartmental modeling approach
  11. PI Krista Leonard
    CO-I Danielle Downs
    Collaborators: Jen Savage Williams, Daniel Rivera
    Understanding energy balance in overweight and obese pregnant women: Novel assessment of mobile metabolism
  12. PI Elizabeth Adams
    CO-PI Jen Savage Williams, Orfeu Buxton, Ian Paul, Danielle Downs, Joshua Smyth
    Effects of sleep and stress on energy balance and parent feeding styles in postpartum mothers
  13. PI Cheng-Hsin Wei
    Co-I A. Catharine Ross, Connie Rogers
    The impact of vitamin A supplementation in the early postnatal period on metabolic regulation related to childhood obesity risk
  14. PI Jessica Braymiller
    CO-I Nicole Roberts, Shana Adise, Charles Geier
    Examining the relationship between puberty and reward sensitivity in overweight and healthy weight adolescents 
  15. PI Katharine Grills
    CO-I Cynthia Stifter
    The associations among temperament, relative reinforcing value of food, and weight status during early middle childhood
  16. PI Shana Adise
    CO-I Nicole Roberts, Corey White, Charles Geier, Kathleen Keller
    The role of reward and inhibitory control pathways in overeating in health and overweight children 
  17. PI Travis Masterson
    CO-I Kathleen Keller, Amanda Bruce
    The impact of food advertisements on brain response and eating behavior in children