Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake

3ca296a29f36e4d8196c4c5f47a17ad4

One thing that I love is sweets for breakfast. If you know me personally you know that I absolutely love sweets. Some people think I am addicted to candy. That is neither here nor there though. For my post today I want to talk about a breakfast bundt cake that had my grandma, one of the best cooks I know, raving. Bundt cakes are great because they are usually very easy but look beautiful (AKA it looks like you did a ton of work for it and people will be really impressed with your skills). For those of you who are not familiar with bunt pans there is a picture of one below.

download

bundt pan

The recipe I want to share with everyone is one I found off Pintrest and is great for the holiday season. It is a cranberry orange bundt cake. I have never had fresh cranberries in a baked good but they proved to be both sweet and moist which was a perfect combination with the zest of the orange and the moisture of the cake itself.

Cranberry Orange Cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • zest of one orange – about 1 tablespoon
  • juice of an orange
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries

• For the Icing:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 – 3 tablespoons water, milk or orange juice

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cranberries on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until sugar turn a lemon color, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and mix in until incorporated.
  3. Add the orange juice and zest. Add the sour cream.
  4. When incorporated add the flour, salt and baking powder. When this is all mixed together stir in the remaining 1 1/4 cups cranberries.
  5. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let pan set for 5 minutes after you take the cake out of the oven. Turn over cake unto a wire rack to cool. Mix up your glaze ingredients and spread on top and sides of cake

For those of you have have not used a bundt pan here is a link to help your first time go smoothly: http://housewares.about.com/od/bakewareservingware/a/bundtbasics.htm

IMG_1103 (2)

Cake I made

I was very happy with the way this cake turned out. A couple tips for my readers though would be one, spray that bundt pan like your life depends on it. This is very important because whenever you flip the pan over the thing that everyone sees is what is touching the pan and if it sticks at all it is going to ruin your beautiful cake. The second advice would be to not over do it with the icing. I didn’t ice my cake at all whenever I served it and it was sweet enough by itself.

I served this thanksgiving morning because it was light and seasonal. As always.. Enjoy!!

Links:

Recipe from (http://thatsmyhome.com/sweetspot/cranberry-orange-cake/)

3 thoughts on “Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake

1. Abigail Louise Cosgrove

That Bundt Cake looks absolutely amazing! I also love sweets for breakfast and I feel like this particular dish is a great combination between healthy and sweet. Although it is probably more on the sweet side than healthy, it does contain real fruit like the cranberries and oranges so I would consider it somewhat good for you. Overall it looks like a delicious dish to eat so I definitely plan to try to make it sometime. Thanks for the helpful tips as well, I wouldn’t want my bundt cake to turn out ugly because I didn’t spray the pan as liberally as i should have. Also I was wondering what is the best type of icing that you would recommend for this particular flavor of bundt cake? I am very excited to read all of your posts for this semester! Hopefully there all be some that we can try out in the Simmons Kitchen!

2. jgs5271

Wow that looks delicious! I would love to try to make that on my own. Was it difficult to make? I am not typically a good baker, so could an amateur make this? It is interesting that the recipe called for fresh cranberries. I have never had that in a dessert, either, but I would love to try it! I like how it looks good with minimal effort (I’m always trying to gain a few brownies points when I cook or bake). What kind of icing is it that can be used? Why did you choose not to use it. I am impartial in that I love icing, so I was a little disappointed that you didn’t use it because I want to know how it tastes! I’ll let you know if I ever make this recipe.

3. nbg5058

I am so excited to be following your blog! It’s rare that I come across someone more enthusiastic about food than I am, but you are just that. I’m one to scroll through Pinterest, saving dozens of recipes, most of which I’ll never get around to making. It’s awesome that you really utilize Pinterest as a recipe archive. I’m always so drawn in by the beautiful pictures of the food, and wonder, if I tried it, would it turn out to look anything like the one shown? Well, minus the icing, yours certainly looks like the picture at the top, so props to you! Also, I know firsthand how hard it can be to impress grandmas with cooking, so the fact that your grandma was so pleased speaks volumes about the quality of your cooking.