Money, Money, Money

Freshman year is quickly coming to a close. I remember stepping on campus nine short months ago, wide-eyed and anxious. There was so much to do, so much to learn, and so many people to meet. Now, almost two semesters later, I’m sad to leave what has become my new home, and return to the real world.

Let’s be honest, college life is a bit of an unrealistic “dip” into adulthood. Yes, we live on our own. Yes, we eat, sleep, and study when we want. No bed time. No rules. But how realistic is a life where we don’t maintain a steady job and rarely know what’s going on in the outside world?

I’m so caught up with my own life, that the few weekends I’ve ventured home this year have been a complete culture shock. It’s like stepping out of my world and re-entering one of my past, only to find that NOTHING changed.

I’m the oldest child of three, so I always got the brunt of parenting. I was the responsible one who always listened and obeyed my parent’s wishes. My hectic extracurricular involvement in high school was half-motivated by my own personal interest and half persuasion from my mom because she felt it would keep me busy and look good on college applications. Many times, I felt my struggles became her personal amusement. For instance, the second I came home for Easter, my mom informed me that I would be playing the clarinet in church. Have I played the clarinet in awhile? Nope. The last lesson I took was in the 7th grade. However, she thought it would be delightful to play with the church band. How did I feel about it…

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 2.00.43 PM

Yes. Sometimes we do things we otherwise wouldn’t just to please someone else. But in college, we command our own time. This freedom is something that took me awhile to get use to. After years of my mom encouraging me to be president of this and captain of that, I was overwhelmed by my own free will. But you know what, doing what you actually to do makes you substantially more happy.

I love my mom to death, and definitely miss her encouragement now that I’m “on my own.” It was nice to have a personal cheerleader and life coach for the first eighteen years of my life. And we all know, that parents generally have the best intentions.

So how have I used my free time this year? I’d like to say I’ve tried my best to keep up with my school work, friends, long-distance boyfriend, and extracurriculars. It’s a lot to juggle. However, that’s what college is all about: doing EVERYTHING, sleeping rarely, and regretting NOTHING.

But this week, as I was preparing for the hell-ish week that awaits me come Monday morning (and hence why I’m writing this blog post almost a week early), all I wanted was some distraction. We all know what wonders a quick study break can do. So last night, my friends and I took the only dollars to our poor college self names and transformed them into something more.

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 2.01.45 PMOn the top left, there is an elephant, one of the most difficult origami structures. The heart, collared shirt, and Star of David were all easy to construct and fun to do so. I got all of the directions from this wonderful site. Next time you’re bored and don’t know what to do with yourself pull out a dollar or so and create something interesting!

This entry was posted in Blog Portfolio 2, That's Pinteresting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Money, Money, Money

1. Leah Giralico says:

This is pretty cool. I always see posts of folded up money, now I know how to make it. Thanks for the link!

2. Tim Groh says:

Mo money, mo problems