In addition to their work assisting with CSHE research projects, CSHE graduate assistants often get involved with and plan events alongside several Penn State graduate student organizations. Higher Education in Review (HER), an independent refereed journal published by graduate students in the Higher Education Program at The Pennsylvania State University, is one such example.
Since the founding of CSHE in 1969, faculty members have engaged in research that has informed policy and decision-making at the institutional, state, and national level. Research projects within CSHE utilize tools from a variety of academic disciplines to study a range of topics, including:
- Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- Equity in Higher Education
- Innovations and Financial Sustainability in Higher Education
- Law and Educational Policy
- The University and the Knowledge Society
- David Baker was the 2015 recipient of the AERA Outstanding Book Award for the book, The Schooled Society: The Educational Transformation of Global Culture.
- Liliana Garces was the 2015 recipient of the ASHE Promising Scholar/Early Career Award. She was also the 2014 recipient of the Palmer O. Johnson Memorial Award from AERA for the article, “Understanding the Impact of Affirmative Action Bans in Different Graduate Fields of Study.”
- Roger Geiger was the 2015 recipient of the AERA Division J Outstanding Publication Award for the book, History of American Higher Education: Learning and Culture From the Founding to World War II.
- Neal Hutchens was the 2015 recipient of the William A. Kaplin Award from the Center for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Policy at Stetson University College of Law.