Distance Learning Summit

Last week I had the good fortune of participating in the “Distance Learning Summit” at the new Crystal Bridges Museum of Art, wherein about fifty art museum educators, digital media managers, researchers, and foundation members convened to explore the intersections of art museums and distance learning. Although many art museums have put forth educational efforts for audiences who are separated by distance or economic issues, there is not much research about the effectiveness of these practices.

Jonathan Munar, Director of Digital Media and Strategy at Art21, presenting to the members of the summit.

I was most impressed by the knowledge and passion that the participants shared with the group. There are a lot of fabulous ideas and strategies floating around in the art museum world, and I believe that the summit is an incredible first step in information gathering and producing a white paper that will become a roadmap for schools and museums who wish to connect virtually.

Many thanks to Anne Kraybill and the education staff at Crystal Bridges for thinking of every detail and making all of us feel important and very welcome. Thanks especially to Robyn Horn, Board President of the Windgate Charitable Foundation, which funded the summit.