Esri User Conference 5K Run

5k 2014 panorama5k 2014 start5k 2014 ddThe User Conference in July is both the beginning and the culmination of the annual cycle of work at Esri. Intensity builds at headquarters in the weeks and months leading up to the event, which lasts eight days for me and my team and involves more than 15,000 guests and Esri staff. A cherished release near the midpoint of the event is the 5 kilometer footrace that takes place early Wednesday morning. The 2014 route started and finished at the Hilton Bayfront and followed the Embarcadero through the North and South Marina Parks. This year I decided to see how fast I could go. I aimed for 27 minutes, which is not fast but is faster than I’d ever finished before. I started off at a 7-minute mile pace and kept it up until about halfway when I felt a jolt in my left hamstring. I kind of hobbled to the end but still finished under 26 minutes. Fellow runner Rachel snapped my happy and dazed visage at right, where I’m sprawled out near the finish line, stretching my sore leg. The next day my colleague Angie informed me that I’d finished first in my age group. The one and only perk for advancing age.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.