October 7

The International Balloon Fiesta

If you look up in the sky in Albuquerque this week at around 7-8 in the morning it will be filled with hot air balloons. Now it is not just one or two or even ten balloons; there are dozens even hundreds. This is the international balloon fiesta, the largest hot air balloon event in the world as well as the most photographed event in the world, that is held annually on the first week in October in Albuquerque; on average it attracts six hundred to seven hundred balloons. They range in all shapes and sizes from normal balloons to special shapes such as the Wells Fargo stagecoach, Smokey the Bear, and even a family of bees. It is quite an amazing sight. The reason it is held in Albuquerque is due to the weather. At ground level the wind blows predictably to the north and once they get high enough (about seven hundred to one thousand feet) the wind switches to blow to the south. Thus it creates a convection effect that allows the pilots to land back at the same place (Balloon Fiesta Park). The festival includes other events as well as the mass accessions, as the mass launches are called. Some of the other events include dropping sand bags on targets. Another event is the cross country hydrogen filled balloon race. These balloons are filled with hydrogen and compete to see how far across the country they can go, usually they are in the air for a week or two. Usually in the evenings they host balloon glows. If you have ever seen a hot air balloon you would know that a giant propane fueled burner is what heats up the air. This flame is very hot as well as bright and thus can illuminate the balloon. So at these balloon glows they fill the field with the balloons and have them all burn at the same time filling the field with incredible colors. Quite a sight that is.

Now you make ask what is a balloon fiesta event like? Well I have gone to these ever since I was a little kid and have always loved it. The balloons require colder air to launch due to a difference in air density (hot air rises in cold air because it is less dense). Thus if one is to go see a mass accession you have to get up at about 4:45 and drive down there. As you approach the traffic gets very heavy and it’s a long line of cars to get in (this event attracts tens of thousands of people) but it moves fairly well. I usually sleep while waiting in the traffic. Once you get in and past the gates you are free to mill around the field where the balloons are being unfolded and then inflated. To inflate a balloon, you start by unfolding it and using a massive box like fan to inflate it at first. Once it has enough air in it they point the propane burner into the balloon to then heat up the air. As it heats up it rises and sits on the ground ready to go. The balloons are lined up in lines and the referees/launch officials (called zebras because they are covered in black and white stripes and usually will embrace the title and wear even more zebra attire) will come to the line and allow that string of balloons to launch. They then move back a row and launch the next. The whole field will usually launch two waves of balloons. In a matter of about an hour or less six hundred or more balloons have launched. It is an incredible sight to behold and you are free to watch them fly away. If you wait long enough you can watch them land, which is practically a controlled crash.

I always love the balloon fiesta and I am sad I am missing it this year. I encourage you all to attend one if you get the chance. It is worth the time and traffic.

Tags: ,

Posted October 7, 2016 by Minchak David in category Uncategorized

5 thoughts on “The International Balloon Fiesta

1. AJ Rothenberger

I’ve always seen pictures of this event, I never knew it was the International Balloon Fiesta. I found it really interesting that the weather patterns make Albuquerque the prime location for it, I always thought that was just random. I like how you described the event then your personal experience with it, I enjoyed that structure. I’ve always been fascinated by hot air ballons, so I guess I’ll have to put it on my list to go to this sometime!

Reply
  2. Shannon

This looks awesome! I love the pictures and your first-hand description and details of it. It’s very neat that the festival occurs in Albuquerque due to the unique wind pattern of the location. It’s also funny how the launch officials are called zebras! I would love to visit New Mexico to see this one day.

Reply