While going through the Dec 2014 and Jan 2015 issues of the AMSTATNEWS magazine, I found the following news worth-sharing:
- Release of Minitab Express software for PCs and Mac! 30-day free trial available at www.minitab.com/academic;
- The workshop report Training Students to Extract Value from Big Data from the National Research Council’s Committee on Applied and Theoretical Statistics (CATS) is available for free download at http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18981/training-students-to-extract-value-from-big-data-summary-of. More online Videos and presentations from the workshop are available at http://bit. ly/1qEdLj2.
- Release of SPM (Salford Predictive Modeler) Ultra software, a highly accurate and ultra-fast analytics and data-mining platform for creating predictive, descriptive, and analytical models from databases of any size, complexity, or organisation. Free Trial version can be downloaded at http://1.salford-systems.com/AMSTAT-download-spm.
- The ASA’s popular web-based Learning Program Learn Stat on Demand is now available. Details can be found at www.amstat.org/learnstatondemand.
- Reminder about the ASA Accreditation Program (PStat: Professional Statistician; GStat: Graduate Statistician) offered to the ASA members. GStat is an entry-level of accreditation (application is FREE!), preparatory for PStat accreditation. Details at www.amstat.org/accreditation.
- The Integrated Health Interview Series (IHIS) recently made the 2013 integrated and harmonized data based on 2013 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) public use data available for free (www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm). Other data-sets are archived (freely available) at www.ihis.us/ihis.
- Interesting (statistical) websites such as STATS.org, http://www.senseaboutscience.org/, http://thisisstatistics.org/
- Additional info on Summer internships 2015: http://www.amstat.org/education/internships.cfm
- The updated ASA Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Programs in Statistical Science (PDF available at http://www.amstat.org/education/pdfs/guidelines2014-11-15.pdf).
- Wiley online Statistical reference (details at wileyonlinelibrary.com/ref/stats).
Page 1 of 212