MORE LIFE, MORE EVERYTHING | GH

Twenty-two songs. Drake has blessed us with 22 more songs to add to our already complicated lives, but, for surely, they all managed to fit in perfectly! I am pretty sure there’s a mood for each and every song that we all will have experienced at least once in our lifetime. So what’s great?

For those of you who may not have already known, on March 18, 2017, Aubrey Drake Graham released his highly (un)anticipated album, or ‘playlist’ more specifically,  entitled “More Life.” The album cover features a picture of his father, Dennis (aka Papa) Graham, which resonates with his fans as an ode to “More Life” and prosperity. Although him and his father may not have had the smoothest relationship while growing up (cheers to growing pains), Drake’s act to more or less dedicate his album to his father is pretty notable.

Moving on, throughout the album, Drake channels lots of Canadian and UK vibes, which I reckon will be an emerging trend that I am absolutely here for. [Sidenote: Anyone who truly knows me, knows that I am obsessed with UK and Canadian vloggers]. For example, Drake is starting to embrace his nationality much more by using common slang terms and even featuring an excerpt from two of Canada’s funniest youtube vloggers, Jermaine and Trey Richards, also known as “4 Yall Entertainment.” Without even mentioning the striking similarities between UK and Canadian slang, I must also acknowledge Drakes’s (and many other artists’) efforts to  incorporate reggae beats into their songs. That being said, most of the similarities between Canadian and UK slang are because the terms originate from Jamaican lingo. Drake also featured a few UK artists such as rappers Giggs and Skepta. I also reckon that more inclusivity amongst international artists will also emerge in the American music industry– and again, I am absolutely here for it.

Just this past week, I had a conversation with a friend and, of course, the most inevitable question came up: “What’s your favorite song on the album?” Well, the answer is, I have absolutely no idea. I must admit I have not listened to the full album enough to be able to memorize the entire tracklist– I mean there are 22 songs and I just frankly don’t have time– but if I had to choose, I’d say my top 5 favorite songs are “Madiba Riddim,” “Passionfruit,” “Jorja Interlude,” “Get it Together,”  “Blem” and “4422” [wait that’s six].  But I do indeed expect that list to change as I warm up to the album a bit more.

For now, let’s talk about “Madiba Riddim”

I love this song, not only for its ability to put you in some type of old school dancehall trance, but for its genuine lyrics. The song highlights Drake’s journey throughout his career, loosely describing the many friendships and “friend-sunks”  that he has encountered over the years. I also love how he tells his fans that God actually has a presence in his life:

Anointed and protected, I was chosen…

God knows I’m trying…

Devil’s working overtime, [but]…

God knows I’m trying.

I mean who else can relate to those lyrics?? I know I certainly can with all the trials and tribulations that life has to offer.

Overall, I think this album is pretty.. well.. great, if you ask me! Let me know what your favorite part was.

1 Comment on MORE LIFE, MORE EVERYTHING | GH

1. jpa5378
    March 31, 2017 at 12:51 pm (7 years ago)

I am also starting to listen more to the album and I still do not have a favorite song, but the album is good. i also liked how he stuck more to his culture and embraced it more. I mean he did take some influence from the caribbean, but I think that this is more closely fitting into his style of music, and making it better I think, especially since I can resonate with the caribbean vibes that remind me of home.

Reply