Independence (#2)

I know that this has been said bunches, but I have found that being an adult means a lot more than just freedom to do whatever you want with your life. Being an adult means doing your own laundry at 2 AM in the morning because you need clothes for the next day; it means doing your own dishes and cooking for yourself. It also means being financially responsible, and proving that you can take care of yourself without depending on others. It means a whole lot of things to a whole lot of different people. The transition from being a teenager to being an adult is surprisingly (or unsurprisingly), not an easy one. What happened in between the time that you spent your last night in your own bed to the first night that you spent on a bed that has been who knows where, in a strange room?! It’s a whole different world out there my friends. We have reached an age where no one cares about what we do which is liberating, but at the same time is kind of confining. I have no idea what to do without someone ordering me around. It’s kinda sad, but also kinda true. I have to do this, I have to do that, but where in the world does the time go? There is no structure to my life anymore. I do as I go. It’s a whole mess, but I’m learning as I do this thing which is college. No one and nothing can prepare you for adult life until you experience it yourself. Balancing can be a tough job in and of itself, but it is essential, so don’t quit. As this is just the beginning, I’m still enjoying being “grown up” and independent, but I’m sure in the few weeks hereafter I’ll be wishing that I was “still a kid.” Don’t get me wrong, being an adult is awesome, but there are those moments you know?

About emd5476

3 thoughts on “Independence (#2)

1. I would never do my laundry at 2 AM simply because the basement where the washers are scare me. If you are ever in a desperate need for clothes, hit me up, don’t go in the basement alone. I miss my own bed at home too and not having so many responsibilities. Love the way you wrote your blog it was really interesting!

2. I understand, there are definitely good and bad aspects of growing up. We are just starting out so everything can seem to be a bit much still, but I’m sure everything will become more comfortable soon. It’s just weird to initially accept being an adult, in my mind. I just turned 18 of June 10th and then a few weeks later I was already moving out of the house, so it all seemed to happen so quickly. I’m especially bad with figuring out finances and it almost makes me nervous sometimes. Just imagine what it’ll be like when we actually move off campus!

3. I really like this! It is shocking how suddenly we are in charge of ourselves. Instead of our parents telling us what to do, we have to. As much fun as it is to not have them telling us that we can’t do something, It’s hard to not hear them telling us to do something, like “buy that salad that is three dollars less”.