System design

When designing for a system, the fact that is is interconnected makes it much more complex than something in isolation. This is kind of a trivial distinction to make, because just about everything designed is part of a system; in the real world, things are rarely in isolation. However, it’s much easier to look at a system in isolation, because it’s easier to calculate anything with fewer variables. This is where things get tricky. It’s easy to design a system such that it works in isolation. It’s harder to create something that will not fail when it’s used in unanticipated ways.

One example I can think of is through computer programming. In the debugging environment, you know what your program is capable of, and how it handles inputs. What happens, suppose, when a user inputs a string of text when your program is expecting a number? You, as the designer, must be able to account for that, so that it doesn’t crash when it’s in the user’s hands. This same idea applies to other areas of design.

One interesting thing to note is that nature herself is one huge interconnected system. Ecosystems are simply the interactions between systems of living things, with systems of, say, erosion, water cycles, etc. This system can catastrophically fail when say, a new species is introduced into an ecosystem not prepared for it (an invasive species). It just goes to show that nothing is immune. An environment evolves to be tailored to a specific niche, and something can disrupt it, because it wasn’t prepared for it.

Our goal as system designers is (obviously) to prevent these things from happening.

16 comments

1. I’m impressed! a lot of important information

2. I love the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great articles.

3. I view something really interesting about your website so I saved to favorites.

4. Spot on with this write-up, I truly suppose this web site wants much more consideration. I’ll most likely be again to read far more, thanks for that info.

5. I needed to post you that bit of word to thank you the moment again with the awesome ideas you have featured in this article. This has been tremendously open-handed with people like you to convey openly exactly what a few individuals would have distributed as an e book to get some profit for their own end, and in particular since you might have done it if you ever considered necessary. The tactics additionally worked to become a fantastic way to recognize that most people have similar fervor like my very own to realize way more in regard to this matter. I believe there are some more fun sessions ahead for those who read carefully your blog.

6. Its fantastic as your other content : D, appreciate it for putting up. “History is a pact between the dead, the living, and the yet unborn.” by Edmund Burke.

7. I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I absolutely love reading all that is written on your blog.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

8. I like this web site because so much utile material on here : D.

9. magnificent points altogether, you simply won a logo new reader. What would you recommend about your post that you simply made some days ago? Any positive?

10. you could have an ideal weblog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?

11. I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the difficulty is something that not enough persons are talking intelligently about. I’m very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing referring to this.

12. You can certainly see your skills in the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart. “He never is alone that is accompanied with noble thoughts.” by Fletcher.

13. I’m still learning from you, but I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely enjoy reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

14. Some truly good content on this site, regards for contribution. “For today and its blessings, I owe the world an attitude of gratitude.” by Clarence E. Hodges.

15. Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

16. Fantastic web site. Plenty of useful information here. I¦m sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your sweat!