IFLA Newspapers/ Genealogy and Local History (GENLOC) Sections
Pre-conference Satellite Meeting
Singapore, 14th – 15th August 2013
Call for Papers
Newspapers to the People
We want your papers! Please submit a proposal to present!
The IFLA Newspapers/Genealogy and Local History (GENLOC) Sections are pleased to announce a Call for Papers for a two-day Pre-conference Satellite Meeting to be held in Singapore from 14th – 15th August 2013.
This Pre-conference Satellite Meeting is jointly organised by the National Library of Singapore, the IFLA Newspapers Section, and the IFLA Genealogy and Local History Section.
We would like to invite you to submit a proposal relating to the title Newspapers to the People to present at this Pre-conference. The intention of this Satellite Meeting is to interest not only IFLA members, but also newspaper publishers, academics, researchers, local studies experts, historians.
As well as distinguished keynote speakers, the Pre-Conference Satellite Meeting will include sponsor presentations and visits to the Malay Heritage Centre site and the Roots Revealed exhibition.
The main Pre-Conference theme: Newspapers to the people
Sub-themes: Papers chosen for presentation should address, but are not limited to:
- Case studies of information institutions (libraries, archives, etc.) that foster community research into family history or local heritage
- Case studies in the digitisation and preservation of cultural heritage
- Latest initiatives and technologies in newspaper e-preservation and access
- Reporting the news in the digital and social media age: trends and how these impact the information industry.
- Social media and crowdsourcing vis-�-vis historical newspaper collections
- Tracing family history or local heritage through newspaper archives
- Issues of E-Legal Deposit: online news and newspapers
Other proposals relevant to the main Pre-Conference theme will also be considered.
- Proposal abstracts should be submitted in English as an MS file.
- Proposal abstracts for the IFLA Newspapers/GENLOC Pre-Conference Satellite Meeting must be submitted by 31st January 2013, must be in English and should clearly include:
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of proposed paper (no more than 300 words)
- Name(s) of presenter(s) plus position and/or title
- Employer/affiliated institution
- Contact information including email address, telephone number
- Short biographical statement of presenter(s)
- Language of presentation
- Proposal abstracts should be submitted to (yes to all 4!):
- Selected presenters will be notified by 4th March 2013
- Complete accepted papers should be c.3000- 6000 words in length, be an original submission not published elsewhere
- Complete accepted papers and accompanying presentation slides must be submitted by the end of June 2013
- Final papers should be written in English
- 25 minutes will be allowed for the delivery of the paper
- The Sections will have the accepted papers translated into at least three languages and these papers will be made available on a Conference website
Please note that the Programme Committee regrets that it has no funding to assist prospective authors and the submission of an abstract must be on the understanding that the costs of attending the Pre-conference, including registration, travel, accommodation and other expenses, are the responsibility of the presenters of the accepted papers, or their institutions. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors.
For more information on the IFLA Newspapers Section, please visit: http://www.ifla.org/newspapers.
For more information on the IFLA GENLOC Section, please visit: http://www.ifla.org/genealogy-and-local-history.
To discuss any matter relating to this Call for Papers, please contact:
Gene Tan: Genetan@nlb.gov.sg
Frederick Zarndt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Melrose: email@example.com
Please disseminate and share this information with all colleagues who may be interested. Looking forward to see all of you in Singapore!
31 Jan 2013 Abstracts due
4 Mar 2013 Acceptance notices sent to authors
30 Jun 2013 Completed papers and presentation submitted.