Pavlov’s Dogs

In 1902 psychologist Ian Pavlov tested a theory that dogs were equipped with certain responses in which they did not have to learn. From this theory he used classical conditioning to have dogs learn to salivate to just the mere sound of a bell. Sounds impossible right?

Well, what happened was… Pavlov started with testing dogs on how much they salivated to the presence of food in a dog food bowl. The salivation was measured with a device attached to the dog’s mouth. As you can imagine, every time the lab assistant came out with food, the dogs would start to salivate…nothing fancy. However, it came to the point where the lab assistant would approach the dogs and they would start to salivate, even though they didn’t have any food. This response was learned, which is what started the actual experiment.

After Pavlov discovered that these dogs have the capability to learn different stimuli, he tried presenting the dogs with something other than the person who had been giving them food for the past two weeks- he used a bell. So every time Pavlov feed the dogs, he also rang a bell while presenting the food. After continuous repetition of this combination, Pavlov tried the bell on its own. Pavlov rang the bell WITHOUT any food present and, as you probably assumed, the dogs salivated.

This may not sound interesting, but think about it this way, it’s common knowledge that in the beginning when the dogs salivated to the food it was considered a reflex. Then naturally without intent, the dogs learned to salivate to the assistant, therefore they created their own reflex. But what I find so interesting and honestly just amazing is that Pavlov taught the dogs to salivate to a bell. He taught them a reflex.

This is a very well-known study that actually appears in a popular comedy show called “The Office.” In the show one of the main characters, Jim, begins training his coworker, Dwight, with the sound of a computer shutting down. He conducts his mini experiment or prank by offering Dwight with an altoid (mint) every time he makes the computer sound. Eventually over time, Dwight would put his hand out for an altoid when he heard the computer sound even though Jim didn’t offer one. This of course was acted out, but just for some laughs and learning… enjoy!

Site for video: https://vimeo.com/35754924

Sites I used: http://www.simplypsychology.org/pavlov.html

5 thoughts on “Pavlov’s Dogs”

1. Wow I love this idea for a blog. It is so informational and this dog experiment is so interesting. I love how you included the scene from the office.

2. I found this very interesting! I have heard of this study before but you did a great job of describing it. I do not watch the office but its funny to see how a TV show incorporated such a major psych study!

3. I find everyone will love to see how they tick! Back in the day, my AP Psychology course performed our own Pavolovian Experiment. Each time our teacher said, “Pavlov,” while reading an article about his work, the students would eat lemon powder. After she had finished, every students mouth would salivate and tingle and the sound of his name. Your Office reference is on point, and I smile just thinking about Jim’s antics. Great job.

4. I really like your blog posts. I find the psych studies you talk about super interesting! It’s funny to think we aren’t that different from these dogs. Our society responds to incentives like the dogs to the bells. Thanks for sharing!