Our research team aims to explore the molecular recognition of molecular sieves and other porous materials. We currently focus on metal-organic framework (MOFs) and zeolites for gas separation (natural gas sweetening, carbon capture from flue gas), and catalysis (catalytic synthesis of liquid fuels from natural gas derivatives). Morphology control is a central theme of our research: we aim to tailor the transport properties of our materials by controlling the structure and morphology of our materials. We also use electron microscopy and other materials characterization methods to investigate the structure-property relationships of our materials.
Have a question about membrane fabrication, membrane testing, catalyst synthesis, catalyst testing, or characterization of molecular sieves? We might have the right solution for you. Contact us for more details.
- [NEW] April 17, 2018 – Jie‘s paper “Room-Temperature Synthesis of Two-Dimensional Metal-Organic Frameworks with Controllable Size and Functionality for Enhanced CO2 Sorption” was accepted to Crystal Growth & Design! Congratulations, Jie! Read it online at: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.cgd.8b00349
- [NEW] April 4, 2018 – Dr. Zhang receives the 2018 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award to support the group’s research on metal-organic framework materials for energy applications. We thank 3M for the recognition and support!
- November 20, 2017 – Dr. Zhang receives the John J. and Jean M. Brennan Clean Energy Early Career Professorship to support the group’s research on molecular sieves for clean energy applications.
- November 11, 2017 – We are constantly looking for dedicated and motivated post-doctoral scholars specializing in zeolite/MOF synthesis and characterization, separation, and heterogeneous catalysis.
- November 11, 2017 – Check out our research opportunities for undergraduate students:
- July 1, 2017 – Dr. Zhang will co-chair the following technical sessions at the 2017 AIChE Annual Meeting. Join us in Minneapolis, MN to explore the frontiers of gas separation and catalysis!
- Science and Engineering of Catalyst Preparation (Sunday, October 29, 2017, 03:30 PM – 06:00 PM, Minneapolis Convention Center – 103C)
- Catalysis with Microporous and Mesoporous Materials II (Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:30 PM – 03:00 PM, Minneapolis Convention Center – L100A)
- Novel Polymeric Membranes – GS II (Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 12:30 PM – 03:00 PM, Minneapolis Convention Center – M100I)
- May 20, 2017 – Omar Abualburak, Jacob Baltzegar (REU student from the University of South Carolina), and Brian Weisner join the DREAM Team as undergraduate researchers. Welcome!
- April 20, 2017 – Dr. Zhang will present our MOF nanosheet research at the 2017 International Congress on Membranes and Membrane Process (ICOM 2017) in San Francisco, CA.
- February 20, 2017 – Dr. Zhang (as invited speaker) will present our materials characterization and electron microscopy work at the 2017 Microscopy and Microanalysis Meeting in St. Louis, MO.
- February 20, 2017 – Dr. Zhang will present our MOF nanosheet research at the 2017 MRS Spring Meeting in Phoenix, AZ.
- February 1, 2017 – Nikhil Narayanan and Austin Alcantara join the DREAM Team as undergraduate researchers. Welcome!
- December 9, 2016 – Chrislynn Suah joins the DREAM Team as an undergraduate researcher. Welcome, Chrislynn!
- October 21, 2016 – Graduate student Xinyang Yin joins the DREAM Team! Welcome, Xinyang!
- September 16, 2016 – Jay Patel joins the DREAM Team as an undergraduate researcher. Welcome, Jay!
- November 7, 2015 – Graduate students Jay Thakkar and Jie Zha join the DREAM Team! Welcome, Jay and Jie!