PAS1: Finding My Calling

Since it’s a new semester I feel that it’s time for a total overhaul in content for my Passion blog because while fashions of the 20th century may be interesting, there’s only so far it can go before it starts to put people to sleep. So… my new passion blog will be all about my experiences partying! Haha, just kidding – I’d actually like to focus my blog this semester on my future area of study; the law! As many people know, I aspire to become an attorney after moving on from Penn State. Not only is the law something that I’m extremely passionate about, but this aspiration is something that I’ve always been passionate about.

For the longest time I had to listen to people say that I was going to change my mind in college and that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I’m feeling like now for the first time that the people in my life have come to the realization that nothing is going to stop me from doing this. Whether it be work or difficulty, I am willing to withstand anything for this goal. When I was back home in good ole’ New Hampshire during winter break, my family came to the realization that I was crazier than they thought and fully planned on pursuing the law as my calling and after accepting that they’ve all come to support my ambitions. I think it’s awesome that they’ve all chosen to support me on this path and of course consider myself fortunate enough to be able to pursue this calling. Further, since coming to college, I’ve met an awesome group of people that want to pursue that same calling – The PSU Mock Trial Team! Wooh!

So throughout the run of this semester’s passion blog, I plan on not only discussing my aspirations in the legal world, but also my inspirations; ranging from mentors to films, as well as my experiences competing on behalf of Penn State on the Mock Team.

Alrighty, so with that let’s begin. I knew I wanted to be an attorney at a very early age. My parents and grandparents would always ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, hoping and urging me to say “doctor!” but of course I never did. I asked what the opposite of a doctor was and my mom said it was a lawyer – so that’s what I went with. As I got older I had many different ideas of what I wanted to do – from zoology to acting to accounting – but in between all of those things I always found myself coming back to lawyer. As a Libra, I was born with an inherent sense of justice and need for harmony leading myself as a young child to always try and focus on what is fair and what is right. I always found myself meditating my friends who were fighting and trying to do what I felt was most just in any difficult situation.

It wasn’t until high school however that I realized that the law was what I wanted to commit my life to. As I learned in LER 100 this past semester, I wanted my work to be categorized as more than just a job or career, but instead as a calling. Doing what I feel is right and helping other people seek harmony in their lives through the law, to me, is that calling. Of course watching incredible films like “Erin Brockovich” or “The Accused” helped influence this along with learning about landmark court cases that have changed or challenged society as we know it such as Gideon V Wainright or Engel V Vitale, to name a few. And of course by sharing this passion blog with you, I plan on going through how the law has come to be such an important thing in my life and describe my feelings and experiences on various cases, films and individuals who have inspired me.

2 thoughts on “PAS1: Finding My Calling

1. OMG!!!! My parents wanted me to say the same thing. I also want to be a lawyer and I am an Aries but I still feel a drive towards the law. It was something I wanted to do all through middle and high school and now college. I will keep in touch with this blog for sure.

2. This will be interesting to follow and see what you want to do after graduating. Interested in seeing what route of law you wish to go into.