Essay Topics

I have brainstormed several ideas for my Rhetorical Analysis Essay:

THON

There is more persuasive material surrounding THON than perhaps any other student organization at Penn State. The benefits of choosing a topic such as THON are that I have first-hand experience with the rhetorical tactics of THON. On the other hand, finding concrete material on which to base my essay might be difficult.

“Shooting an Elephant”

Another idea for my essay is based upon a story suggested by one of my friends in English 15 called “Shooting an Elephant” by George Orwell. The story involves issues of race, control, and imperialism. Orwell’s perspective brings a persuasive element to the story, which would be a great source of reflection for rhetorical analysis.

Environmental

As a final idea, I would be very interested in finding a speech, essay, or advertisement that concerns climate change or energy issues. I am passionate about these topics, and I would enjoy reading and analyzing a rhetorical piece about environmental issues.

I am still not sure what direction I will take for my paper. In order to decide, I will need to research to see which topic will have the most substantive material.