Discussion Based Classes

As I got older, most of my homeschooling classes began to rely much more on a dialectic discussion than memorizing facts and “learning” about things. Our instructor would introduce a topic and we would then discuss the issue; picking it apart for logos, pathos, and ethos.

This was a really great way to learn because I became fluent in a different sort of language. I could think critically about any issue and look at the pros and cons. I formed my own beliefs and values, rather than just accepting what others told me. Questioning the status quo was my class time.

Today in public school, students are encouraged to focus on the facts: learning and regurgitating them for tests. According to this article, Steven Weinberg, a teacher on special assignment in Oakland, California, whose  job is “helping teachers teach to the test,” says: “The trouble with teaching to the test is that the standardized tests are not by their nature able to measure meaningful learning and emphasize the trivial rather than the essential.”

This takes away time from critical thinking, which is what fuels students to become high functioning adults in society. By psychological definitions, an adult is able to think abstractly about concepts they cannot envision right in front of them immediately. However, can students really reach this point if they are never instructed on how to think critically?

First, we must ask, do we even really need to teach critical thinking? Shouldn’t this be a skill children just pick up on as they mature? Parental Science says no. Critical thinking is a skill that is best exemplified when children are forced to explain the why and how. Clearly, the evidence supports a curriculum with analytical elements. If children are never implicitly taught this, they end up lacking a skill that allows them all the thought processes of a high functioning adult.

The next question is how: How do we implement critical thinking into the average public school classroom? This is no easy feat. With thousands of classrooms across the country, and a shortage of funding, it is difficult to start an entirely new program. However, introducing critical thinking doesn’t necessarily mean funding a new program. This can be taught simply by asking children “why?”

With math and science problems, don’t just accept an answer as right or wrong. Ask the student to show their work, or demonstrate on the board how to work out that problem. When you are able to explain a concept to others, you have mastered it yourself. With literature, question what certain elements of the story mean. And perhaps most controversial, children should be able to think through current events and devise their own opinions on the issues. In order for this to happen, teachers need to present both sides of an argument, then ask the children which side they feel is “better” and more importantly, why.

When students are able to justify their beliefs, and question them in order to defend them, we will have a society filled with civically engaged citizens, rather than voters who vote for a party or people who volunteer for resume building. We will have a community of people who want to be actively engaged.

Complacency is a huge problem with America today, and it is because many people don’t know what they believe or why they believe it. If we teach the next generation of students how to think for themselves, hopefully the future of America will be in the hands of well educated people who care about the outcome and realize the consequences certain actions may bring.

I am not naive. I realize that this is a huge feat, simply because many topics are touchy and teachers are not always impartial. I certainly had to deal with that experience. However, finding different teachers with different views allows at least a mix of opinions and hopefully exposes the students to different viewpoints. We will never fully rid the world of biases, but we can make a start by hiring teachers who want to include critical thinking in a curriculum.

3 thoughts on “Discussion Based Classes

1. Corey Capooci

I agree and looking back at high school there were never really any pushes for critical thinking. Especially since the area where I come from does not really include a lot of extremely contrasting viewpoints. It is hard to see both sides of any situation when it seems like teachers and parents only like to present one. I do agree that we need to start incorporating critical thinking into public schools even just to get a sense of how to develop your own opinions. I also think it can be extremely difficult to know your actual feelings until you can remove yourself from some institutions that may be trying to instill only certain beliefs. Overall I think critical thinking should be developed at a younger age, but not with the notion that this is who you are and forever will be. There should definitely be encouragement for growth.

2. Stephanie Reed Springer

I would agree that schools do focus more on having higher-level students being able to think critically, as AP and honors classes tend to involve more discussion and writing. But even with these classes (especially APs), teachers are still teaching to a test with an end goal of high scores so that students can earn college credit. One thing that I thought was particularly interesting that you pointed out, Brenna, is how teaching with the goal of the “right” answer leads to a mentality of doing things to earn points, like volunteering just for your resume or taking classes that look hard, not that you’re interested in. I think the focus on numbers and outcomes takes away from what can be gained throughout the process.

3. jow5365

I agree with you that we need to learn how to think more critically in public schools; this was a skill I honed in well in my AP Lang class. The issue is, we only consider students taking AP classes good enough to learn about forming opinions with justification, and this isn’t necessarily the case. We need to learn to have more confidence in our “lower-level” students, and then maybe they will be able to meet our heightened expectations.