Travel Guide To Moscow

To begin my travel blog, I thought I’d write about my home town of Moscow, Russia. Although I have never truly lived in Russia having moved to the United States when I was just one year old, I have visited the country multiple times as much of my family still lives there.

Undoubtedly, you have all heard of the outrageous myths and stereotypes of Russia and its people. If you believe such myths, you probably think that Russia is a place full of corruption, mafia, bombings, cold winters, depressed people, and of course, vodka. While some of these myths are quite true, many of them are extremely exaggerated.

First of all, Russia has become very corrupt throughout the last few years. Vladimir Putin has now been in office for twelve years and over those twelve years he has eliminated most elections, monopolized major media, and destroyed the democratic political system. Everyday people are brutally arrested for starting and participating in anti-Putin protests, while some are even detained simply for being nearby. Clearly, Putin’s actions are those of a dictator, and he plans to stay in power as long as possible.

ap_putin_singleuse_24dec11

However, the political system alone should not scare you away from visiting the unique, beautiful city of Moscow and Russia overall. Contrary to common belief, Moscow has exceptional food and drinks, welcoming people, and a unique and enriching history.

The cuisine in Russia is unlike any other. An abundance of delicious soups, meats, pastries, and desserts are sure to make you fall in love with Russian foods (which are not so popular in the United States yet). First off, Russians love to eat soup with nearly every meal, with the common soup being Borscht, a mix of beets, vegetables, beef, and sour cream. Caviar and dried fish are two other common foods that Russians often eat alongside their main dishes, which include an array of meats, fish, vegetables and garnishes. However, my favorite part of the Russian cuisine is the desserts. Their cakes, candies, and pastries are certainly unlike any dessert found here in America. A common favorite is “blini”, which are very similar to the French crepes and can be filled with anything from sour cream to jam to fruits.

download

Even though the foods are quite unusual, Russians primarily differ from Americans in their drinking habits. Whereas Americans drink soda or water along with every meal, Russians tend to withhold until they are finished with their meal to drink anything, unless its a few shots of vodka or cognac. As you know, vodka is very popular in Russia and you will often see people drinking with lunch or even breakfast (this is one myth that actually holds true). Other common drinks that can always be found on a restaurant menu include tea, mineral water, and beer.

RUSSIA ECONOMY

Now, while the vodka myth may be true, most other Russian stereotypes are quite false. For example, the people of Russia are actually very kind and welcoming to tourists and as long as you stay away from dangerous areas and illegal activity, Russia can be a very safe place.  Just like in New York, Philadelphia, or any other big city, you will always encounter gangs and violence, but a majority of Moscow is calm, clean, and beautiful. Much of this beauty comes from Russia’s unique history full of strong religious belief, Tsarism, and Communism. You must travel to Russia merely to see the extraordinary cathedrals and other memoirs left behind from Russia’s Communist and Tsarist eras. Today, you can even still visit the tomb of Vladimir Lenin and the beautiful KGB headquarters.

So as you can see, Russia is not a place to fear. It is a place full of enlightening culture and history and even if you make the trek out to Russia during the middle of the winter, it can’t get much colder than State College has been for the past few weeks! But, if you go at the right time, you will see a world that looks as if it is straight out of a winter fairytale.

kremlin-moscow-pretty-red-square-russia-winter-Favim.com-45067

4 thoughts on “Travel Guide To Moscow

1. I really enjoyed reading this. You forgot to mention the stereotype that all Russians have dashboard cameras though. They are a source of great entertainment for most of the internet. I really like how you were able to talk about both the good and the bad parts of Russia, instead of just glorifying it like some people would. This post helped me better understand a lot about Russia and the political situation in Russia. I didn’t realize Putin was as corrupt as he actually is. I thought he had only started to corrupt things after the last election, not that he’s done it over his decade of rule.

On a brighter note, Russian food sounds really good and I will have to try it sometime.

2. I love that you started with Moscow! For the longest time, Moscow has been a place on my list that I feel as though I must visit (and you have definitely convinced me to make the trip). I don’t know if I have been living under a rock or what, but I really didn’t know that Russia was going through such a political uprising (if that is even the right thing to call it)? Aside from that, all of the cuisine and attractions look incredible! Can’t wait to see your next post!

3. Awesome description of Russian. I found it very interesting because I am Russian too, but I know nothing of my own heritage honestly. The vodka myth being actually true is so funny. I don’t know how Russians drink vodka so easily! Russia’s political situation with Putin seems very dreary, and I think I smell a revolt coming if what you say about his harsh treatments is true. It’s clear to see you love your home country. Interesting post, i enjoyed reading it!