TED Talk Genre

What is a TED talk? To be completely honest, before we began discussing TED talks in class I had absolutely no idea what they were. Sure, I had heard them mentioned in conversations once or twice, but I had no real clue about what they truly are. Now, a few weeks later, I am fascinated by them. I’ve learned that the main goal of these talks are to spread ideas that are worthwhile and valuable. Those I have watched have all taught me something about life. Yes, I have watched a few that are more technical and science related, but for the most part I have learned something, either a skill or mindset, that I can apply to my everyday life.

Something that really sticks out to me when watching TED talks is the passion within all of the speakers. It is obvious to the audience that the presenter is truly passionate about their topic and the idea they are sharing. Also, I have noticed that the TED speakers make their subject matter applicable to a wide audience. It would be easy for a psychologist to use big, medical words and theories in their speech, yet I did not see this. I recently watched Amy Cuddy’s TED talk on body language, and I was amazed at her ability to take her research and theories and communicate them to the general public. I like to believe that I am an intelligent person, but to be honest, when speakers start using large words and confusing theories, I loose interest quickly. I realized that by speaking more conversationally, the speakers can connect to an audience better than if they stayed within their field’s jargon.

As I prepare my own TED talk, one final thing really stood out to me. It seems as if all TED talks have a deeper message than appears in the title. Yes, sometimes the speakers talk about a specific task such as improving memory, but the lesson is not finished there. There always seems to be an underlying theme, a way to better one’s life. One example was the fireman’s talk that taught us the importance of the little things in life and the impact they can have on others. As I prepare my own talk, I am going to work towards incorporating a larger underlying theme. I have found TED talks fascinating and an amazingly unique way to spread ideas.

This entry was posted in RCL and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to TED Talk Genre

1. Karl Mind says:

As I prepare my own TED talk, one final thing really stood out to me. It seems as if all TED talks have a deeper message than appears in the title https://sites.psu.edu/english137lavella09/2012/10/30/ted-talk-genre/

• Morkand mundy says:

As I prepare my own TED talk, one final thing really stood out to me. It seems as if all TED talks have a deeper message than appears in the title. Yes, sometimes the speakers talk about a specific task such as improving memory, but the lesson is not finished there. There always seems to be an underlying theme altadefinizione

2. Tiffaney Zoch says:

I got what you mean , thankyou for putting up.Woh I am glad to find this website through google.