Who Have You Become Today

alice in wonderland

I came across this quote today, and it really made me stop and think. As teenagers, I feel like we often try to define who we are, what kind of person we want to be, and where we want to fit in. After reading this quote, I began to truly realize that we are constantly changing. It makes me think that one of the reasons why it is so hard to figure out who we are, is because we never stay the same for long. Everything we do, everyone we talk to, everything we experience, it all influences our personalities. Sometimes things only change a little, but other times, our entire personality takes a shift. Most of the time we fail to realize that we are changing, but it’s true. As we grow up, our personality is always changing.

As I’ve already said, it can be pretty easy to miss the changes our personalities go through. Well, there is less than a month left of our freshman year, and I can almost guarantee that we’ve all changed, at least a little. In the past nine months, we have met more people then we could count, and have hopefully had experiences and made memories to last a lifetime. As the school year winds down, I think it is important to take a little bit of time to reflect on this past year, and who we have become, who Penn State has made us. Our freshman year of college has the potential to shape who we become, and if we don’t take a few minutes to think about this, we may not realize the impact that it had. I know that everyone has a million things to do in the next three weeks. There’s finals, the last days with friends, and packing to be done, but please, take a little bit of time to reflect on the past year.

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Who Have You Become Today

1. This actually answered my downside, thanks!

2. Erogifs Net says:

It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

3. Sam Kantner says:

I definitely agree with this quote. Though we’ve been here for eight or nine months, I feel like a much-changed person. I like to think that I’ve matured by ten years in the span of one (as weird as that may sound). This year has been crucial in our transition from secondary school to “the real world.” As we grow older, we constantly lose and form new friendships, which influence our personalities. I’ve formed an entirely new group of friends who, though we’ve known each other for a short time, get along so well. I guarantee that once I graduate, I will probably be quite different than I am now (hopefully for the better).

4. Amy Norton says:

This is a really interesting blog post to me because it’s something that one of my friends and I have discussed a lot. We both go to different schools (she goes to University of Alabama) and we realized that we both changed a lot in the course of the year even though we really didn’t notice it until we came home and started interacting with people again and seeing each other. I also like the idea that changing who you are isn’t necessarily a bad thing, which is something that I think is something that society kind of tells us. Like, it’s ok to grow but you should always stay true to who you are and not change. Great blog!

5. Mariam Ahmad says:

I agree with what you said. At this point in our lives (more so than most other times), we are constantly trying to shape what we stand for and who we are and maybe who we want to be. We often overlook the fact that sometimes, it’s just better to live in the moment and see where life takes you. Your thoughts today won’t be the same tomorrow, and your dreams and aspirations will change on a daily basis. So why stress about it?

6. Shelby Foster says:

The wisdom of Alice in Wonderland. I totally agree that it’s important to take some time to reflect, especially after a year that has certainly changed all of us. I’ve been reflecting a lot lately; I’m having a hard time believing that my freshman year is almost over. Change often has a negative connotation, however, and I think it’s important to remember that change is often a good thing. Just because we came to college and changed as people doesn’t mean that we’re worse off than we were before or not true to our identity. Change makes life interesting; it allows us to grow and mature. Just because our freshman year of college changed us doesn’t mean that we are different people than we came here as, we’ve just taken a couple steps toward our future and who will we be as adults.

7. John Mattiace says:

I always think it’s good to stop distracting ourselves, once in a while, with our phones and computers and instead just be. Just sit somewhere and turn the world off and look inside. I feel like it isn’t something people like to do anymore (if they ever did) because we’re told to constantly be productive and we now have no excuse not to be, thanks to the internet. But when all we do is work, we lose who we are as people. It helps to find that person again if one wants to enjoy life while here.