Blog Writing Is Getting Difficult

I can’t believe I’ve never written about this topic before, so I figured now should indeed be the time.

So there’s really only so many things you can say about squirrels, especially the dark side of squirrels… I mean, squirrels in general just aren’t really all that dark (I mean this in a figurative sense, of course. Squirrels come in a variety of colors, including brown, grey, and black). In fact, most things about squirrels are pretty great, like the fact that they, I don’t know, WATER SKI.

Twiggy the squirrel (I should really say squirrels. The act has gone through many, many squirrels. They just keep renaming all of them Twiggy. Currently, they are on Twiggy #9) first began water skiing in 1979, when Chuck and Lou Ann Best, Deltona Florida citizens, decided nothing could be more fun than training a grey squirrel to water ski on the back of a remote controlled boat. Now it is important to note that the squirrels used in these water skiing performances are not taken from the wild against their will. You see, The Bests only train abandoned, orphaned squirrels to become the next great Twiggy.

Twiggy the squirrel is actually quite a popular act, despite how bizarre the concept may seem. Twiggy is on tour 9 out of 12 months of the year, and when not performing across the country, makes guest appearances on TV shows and movies, such as Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgendy and Brad Paisley’s recent music video, Riverbank.

For her performances, Twiggy only uses the best of the best. The squirrel has a custom made boat that she skis behind, accompanied by her American flag-themed, custom made life jacket. Currently within her acts, she sports skills such as hand gliding and jet skiing, but is still in the process of learning wakeboarding.

Twiggy is also quite a character, according to the Bests. Her favorite foods include pistachios and cooked oatmeal, and she also loves to run around and play with her other rescued squirrel friends in her free-time. She is a very tame squirrel overall, obviously due to her constant exposure and interaction with humans, but also has several dislikes. According to the family, Twiggy strongly dislikes cranes (she has been attacked by one before) and loud rock music.

Twiggy even has her own Facebook page! The page provides updates to fans about her upcoming tour dates and other squirrel related stories. You can check it out if you don’t believe me… she also evidently works for her own company, according to the page– Twigy’s Inc!

https://www.facebook.com/twiggysrehab/

I also figured that I had to provide some photos and videos… this story isn’t nearly as exciting unless you see it in action. I promise that you won’t be disappointed!

Oh my god they even have stuffed animal squirrels driving the boat I can’t handle how cute this is.

She even has a legitimate sponsor. I can only hope to be as successful as this squirrel honestly.

3 thoughts on “Blog Writing Is Getting Difficult

1. This is honestly one of the nicest and funniest things I’ve ever seen. I would have never imagined that a squirrel of all things could become famous by waterskiing. Now I need to reevaluate my life as I can’t even water ski, yet here is a squirrel that is doing it very successfully. The fact that these people always named the squirrel Twiggy is pretty funny too. I honestly felt that squirrels were opposed to water and am quite surprised that this one isn’t. Either way, Twiggy seems to be living the good life and thats all that really matters. Your squirrel posts are always entertaining, keep up the good work!

2. I can recall a few times when I heard about squirrels water skiing but I didn’t think about it too much. I would have thought that they disliked being in such deep bodies of water (comparatively to themselves), but you and the squirrels here in State College have proved me wrong. I must also say the way you wrote the intro to this post reminded me of Drake and Josh…the enunciation of “WATER SKI” was hilarious and I actually laughed out loud. Great job once again Erica! But I would agree, blogging is becoming challenging.

3. This is so cute and funny! I’ve never heard of a squirrel, or many in the past couple of decades, water skiing! I didn’t even know that squirrels didn’t mind being in the water because they look so sad when it rains in State College and they’re running around trying to find a tree to climb. I watched the video and it was so adorable. Great post!