About Me

Languages have always been my passion. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Translation and Interpreting in 2007 from Universitat Jaume I, Castellon (Spain), with English and German as first and second foreign languages; and Spanish and Catalan as native languages. I completed the third year of my undergraduate studies abroad at Karl-Franzens Universität, Graz (Austria), where I continued my studies in English, German, Italian and Spanish. During my last year in undergraduate school, I did an internship at the International Master in Peace, Conflict and Development Studies, Universitat Jaume I, in the framework of the UNESCO Chair for Peace Studies. My tasks included simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting at lectures, conferences and seminars; assistance with the translation of documents and presentations, etc.

From 2003 to 2012, I kept learning languages and I obtained Advanced Certificates in English, German and Italian, and Intermediate Certificate in French, at the Official School of Languages of Valencia. I enjoyed translating and interpreting very much, but I thought I would also love teaching, so I got a Postgraduate Certificate in Education in 2008, majoring in Teaching English as a Second Language, from Universitat de València (Spain). To complete my teaching certificate I did an internship in El Grao High School, Valencia (Spain), where I taught ESL to junior and senior students.

Also in 2008, I started working as a freelance translator, mostly in the audio-visual field, performing translation and captioning of films for international film festivals, and translation of series and documentaries for voice-over and dubbing purposes. I worked for several translation agencies from Spain, France, Italy, Germany and the United Kingdom, translating a variety of documents (websites, tourist guides, technical manuals and marketing, among others) from English, German, and Italian to Spanish and Catalan.

I have always been keen on biology and natural sciences, but unfortunately I was not gifted for science. My alma mater offered a Master’s Degree in Medical and Health Translation, which was perfect for me as it combined my passion for languages and science. I graduated from UJI with my Master’s in 2011. I collaborated with Editorial Médica Panamericana, translating part of the Introductory Book of Psychiatry, by Donald W. Black and Nancy C. Andreasen. Then, I worked as a medical translator for pharmaceutical laboratories, medical manufacturers, hospitals, universities and publishing houses.

From 2012 to 2014, I taught English and Spanish as a Foreign Language in several language schools in my hometown, Valencia. I discovered that I really enjoyed teaching my own language and culture, even more than teaching English. I also wanted to spend some time in the United States. Therefore, I applied to West Virginia University, where I graduated with a Master’s Degree in Spanish Literature and Linguistics in 2016. In August 2016 I started working as a Lecturer in Spanish at Penn State University, where I hope to spend many years.

Los escritores hacen la literatura nacional y los traductores hacen la literatura universal”.

Writers make national literature and translators make literature universal“.

José Saramago