The internet.  How could we live without it?  The truth is, there are many in the world who have much less internet access than us, and manage to get by.  But some countries like Germany are placing a new importance on the internet is the average person’s life.

As I spoke about in our group’s presentation, German courts have ruled that the internet is an essential part of life.  For the German people, this is great news; because it means their government will do anything it can to bring its people the best quality internet possible.  As I also reported, Germany has had its fair share of problems in regards to higher speeds of internet.  This declaration by the German government will push for faster internet (Broadband or Cable) in almost all places.  Also, mobile internet should become for and more readily available.

I feel that while many people will take the quote of the German court out of context, it is really the truth.  Today’s world isn’t as simple as it once was, and so many facets of life are found most abundantly and quickly online.  Can anyone tell me the last time they applied for a full time job in person and not by filling out an application online?  How about reading the news… does anyone regularly read the news in paper form?  Most college age people and young adults are so used to using technology in all facets of life that anyone not used to it would have a hard time fitting in.  Imagine moving from a country that doesn’t use the internet very much, and trying to be part of typical U.S. society.  My feeling is that it would be enormously difficult.

WEBBLOGInterestingly enough, Germany actually has the highest number of internet users, percentage wise compared to the U.K, & U.S.  However, user numbers does not compare evenly to the much more advanced internet and speed capabilities that the United States and England have.  Germany sits atop the list at 83%, followed closely by the United Kingdom at 82.5%, and the United States trails each sitting at 77.3%.

So what do you think?  How important is the internet, and do you consider it essential?

Written by Travis Whalen

Related links:

INTERNETWORLDSTATS.com