Linguistics and Education

Prior to becoming a linguist, I was a public school educator for nearly a decade, beginning with a year of service in the Americorps (1999-2000), where I was assigned to a bilingual elementary school in California. The most significant part of my education career was the five years (2004-2009) during which I served as a dual language Spanish-English teacher in New York City. One of my goals is to bridge my linguistics and teaching experiences to support bilingual students and their teachers, like my former students and colleagues at Brooklyn’s P.S. 24.  Here are some projects I’ve worked on related to Linguistics and Education:

Papers

Cameron, Antonia, Frances Blanchette, Glenda Francis, Christina Fuentes, and Mayra Rivera-Deliz. 2012. The role of communities of practice in developing teacher leadership. The NCTM Yearbook of Professional Learning Communities. Reston, VA: NCTM.

Crosson, Amy, Elizabeth Hughes, Frances Blanchette, and Carolyn Thomas. Accepted. Emergent bilinguals’ understanding of multiple-meaning words that carry everyday and discipline-specific mathematical meanings. Reading & Writing Quarterly: Overcoming Learning Difficulties.

Funded Projects

Principal Investigator, Philosophy Learning and Teaching Linguistic Organization (PLATO) Grant, Linguistic Inquiry for English Language Learners, PI Frances Blanchette, co-PI Glenda Francis.

Consultant, Spencer Foundation Small Grant, Measuring Bilingualism in Kindergarten Registration in Public Schools, PI: Gigi Luk, Harvard Graduate School of Education.