The Frost Welcomes Carlie Harding

My name is Carlie Harding, and I’ve had the privilege of working as a research assistant at the Frost Entomological Museum since early February. After calling Altoona, PA “home” for many years, I moved to State College to complete my B.S. in Animal Science here at Penn State University. I graduated in May 2014 and am pursuing graduate school at Washington State University for next year. This is my first blog post, and I hope to contribute many more!

Photo by Sarah Abraham (CC BY 2.0)

My passion for science began in the midst of my early teen years after reading the nonfiction thriller, “The Hot Zone”. My desire to explore various areas of science lead me to pursue undergraduate research in a lab studying zombie ants. During this time I became actively involved in The Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, attending seminars and related events.

Still wanting to gain experience working hands-on with animals (specifically exotic zoo animals), I accepted a post-graduate internship at The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Columbus, OH. I could write a series of blog posts on my time there, but I’ll put it simply and say that it was truly wonderful. There’s nothing quite like waking up to giraffe most mornings.

Kipawa enjoying a snack. Photo by Carlie Harding (CC BY 2.0).

At the Frost Entomological Museum, I initially began working alongside Emily– imaging the thousands of Odonata and Bombus specimens we have here at the museum. This process was brand new to me, but I quickly grew to enjoy it. Digitization has been temporarily put to a halt as the museum  renovations have taken priority. It’s been exciting to see the workplace transform, but I’m looking forward to digitizing again.

Our set-up for Bombus imaging. Photo by Emily Sandall (CC by 2.0).

I feel fortunate to be surrounded by a team of such intelligent people, and I look forward to continuing to learn from them. Until next time!

This entry was posted in Digitization, news, teaching. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Frost Welcomes Carlie Harding

1. Andy Deans says:

Welcome! We’re happy to have you!

2. Brenda (Bononno) Harding says:

So very proud of you and your commitment.

3. Brenda (Bononno) Harding says:

So very proud.

4. Tami May says:

I am a science teacher in Mobile, AL. I recently came across your blog! I love your thoroughness and tenacity! I am implementing a middle school level entomology elective this year (I noted your comment on “when” you were drawn into science 🙂 and am going to check out “The Hot Zone” for the students). I have been searching for resources and connections the students can make to enhance their experience. I am book marking your page! Thank you!
    Also, are you able to send specimens you have duplicates of or loan out collections?
    Thank you for your contribution!

Tami May
    MEd, Secondary Sciences 2011
    University of South Alabama, BS Biology, 2006

5. Mary Shirley says:

Welcome! Have Fun Working. Enjoy the updates.

6. Emily Sandall says:

Hello Tami. We can loan specimens. You can direct loan requests to Dr. Andrew R. Deans at adeans@psu.edu.