Lupe Fiasco x Word’s I’ve Never Said – Passion Post #7

With another week comes another passion post. Today you will hear from an artist that actually inspired me to start rapping- Lupe Fiasco. What makes his music so unique has to do with his figurative language and the charisma/boldness that he displays. Because of this,  Lupe shines light on issues that are very controversial and hard to talk about at times.

“Words I’ve Never Said” is the second track on Lupe’s third studio album- Lasers. Skylar Grey accompanies Lupe for the hook and background vocals. Again, Lupe makes very bold claims and accuses many people for their actions/ideas. These are his words that “he has never said”.

Lyrics:

[Skylar Grey]
It’s so loud Inside my head
With words that I should have said!
As I drown in my regrets
I can’t take back the words I never said

[Lupe Fiasco]
I really think the war on terror is a bunch of bull___
Just a poor excuse for you to use up all your bullets
How much money does it take to really make a full clip
9/11 building 7 did they really pull it
Uhh, And a bunch of other cover ups
Your childs future was the first to go with budget cuts
If you think that hurts then, wait here comes the uppercut
The school was garbage in the first place, that’s on the up and up
Keep you at the bottom but tease you with the uppercrust
You get it then they move it so you never keeping up enough
If you turn on TV all you see’s a bunch of “what the fu__”
Dude is dating so and so blabbering bout such and such
And that ain’t Jersey Shore, homie that’s the news
And these the same people that supposed to be telling us the truth
Limbaugh is a racist, Glenn Beck is a racist
Gaza strip was getting bombed, Obama didn’t say sh__
That’s why I ain’t vote for him, next one either
I’ma part of the problem, my problem is I’m peaceful
And I believe in the people.

Song Analysis:

Skylar opens the song with the hook, explaining that she has “the words that she has never said” bouncing around her head. Because she has never voiced her opinions, there is no way to take back what she has not said.

As I stated before, Lupe opens up his verse with a very bold claim. He is not agreeing with the war on terrorism and explains that it is another way for the government to cover up the other plans on their agenda. He then goes on to say because of the recession and all of the budget cuts leaking into school districts, essentially your child’s future is being thrown away without shying from the fact that the school system is not in the best position in the first place.

Lupe continues his rant by saying that “You open up the TV and see a bunch of WTF’s”. Lupe is expressing the frustration that he is feeling because society as a whole tends to face on petty, irrelevant topics (such as jersey shore) instead of bigger and significant topics.

Now before he closes his verse, Lupe speaks his mind fully without any “regrets” (remember the name of this song is, “Words I’ve Never Said”). He says that Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are racist and calls out Obama for not taking any action when violence erupted on the Gaza Strip . Because of this, he goes on to say that he is being “peaceful” by not voting for him (very bold, especially when you are in the music industry to SELL albums).

Personal Thoughts and Reflections:

I actually support some of the things that Lupe says in the track, but do not fully support all of his claims. Again, Lupe is very audacious when he calls out the Government for several things (9-11 cover ups, the war on terrorism and the reason behind decreased school budgets).

I actually agree with what he says concerning TV and things that are goin on throughout pop culture. Things that we should worry the least about are the things that society as a whole actually immerses all of their energy into.

Now, here are a couple of things that I did not agree fully with Lupe.

1. He calls out Obama for keeping silent during the Gaza Strip commotion. Here, I believe that Obama did not want to address the situation immediately, instead

2. He claims that the government is trying to cover up significant things. Even though the government does hide things from the public eye, it is pretty harsh to say a tragedy is the catalyst to a cover up.

Maybe one day i’ll have to convey some words that I have never said.

Watch the video below and leave a comment on what you think: