J. Cole x Love Yourz (Passion Post #3)

Today, I will analyze a song that has a great message for not only me, but for everyone that will be reading this blog. The song entitled- Love Yourz is the 12th track on J. Cole’s 3rd studio album, 2014 Forest Hills Drive. Personally, this is one of my favorite albums because of Cole’s ethic, passion. message and delivery. I was glad when this album went platinum, because this album was a resemblance of Cole’s growing maturity from making radio records to more conceptual music. (And the fact that he did little to no promo for this album).

Love yours
Love yours

[Hook:]
No such thing as a life that’s better than yours
No such thing, no such thing

Heart beatin’ fast, let a ni–a know that he alive
Fake ni–as mad, snakes
Snakes in the grass let a ni–a know that he arrive
Don’t be sleepin’ on your level cause its beauty in the struggle ni–a
Goes for all y’all
It’s beauty in the struggle ni–a
(Let me explain)
It’s beauty in the struggle , ugliness in the success
Hear my words or listen to my signal of distress
I grew up in the city and though some times we had less
Compared to some of my ni–as down the block man we were blessed
And life can’t be no fairytale, no once upon a time
But I be God damned if a ni–a don’t be tryin’
So tell me mama please why you be drinking all the time?
Does all the pain he brought you still linger in your mind?
Cause pain still lingers on mine
On the road to riches listen this is what you’ll find
The good news is ni–a you came a long way
The bad news is ni–a you went the wrong way
Think being broke was better

[Hook]

For what’s money without happiness?
Or hard times without the people you love
Though I’m not sure what’s ’bout to happen next
I asked for strength from the Lord up above
Cause I’ve been strong so far
But I can feel my grip loosening
Quick, do something before you lose it for good
Get it back and use it for good
And touch the people how you did like before
I’m tired of living with demons cause they always inviting more
Think being broke was better
Now I don’t mean that phrase with no disrespect
To all my ni–as out there living in debt
Cashing minimal checks
Turn on the TV see a ni–a Rolex
And fantasize about a life with no stress
I mean this shit sincerely
And that’s a ni–a who was once in your shoes
Living with nothin’ to lose
I hope one day you hear me
Always gon’ be a bigger house somewhere, but ni–a feel me
Long as the people in that motherfuc–r love you dearly
Always gon’ be a whip that’s better than the the one you got
Always gon’ be some clothes that’s fresher than the ones you rock
Always gon’ be a bi–h that’s badder out there on the tours
But you ain’t never gon’ be happy till you love yours

(Hook)

Interpretation and Personal Reflection

Cole opens up, by telling us, if you have nothing else to be thankful for, just be thankful that you are alive. No matter what you are going through, there are people out there who had the essential gift of life taken away from them in a matter of seconds. Now, Cole brings up an idea-that there is beauty in a struggle. At first, I was wondered, what is  this man talking about? But with time I saw his point. You have to take into account Cole has seen both sides of the story-success and the struggle that he has went through to get to where he is today. (Side note: Cole would stand outside everyday at Roc-a-fella records demanding that he get a meeting with Jay-Z). Now, growing up Cole didn’t have much and life at home was not always cherries and blossoms, but by comparing himself to the other people that lived in his neighborhood he always had something to be thankful for.  He goes off this tangent by referencing his mother and the relationship that she had with a man at that time. (2014 Forest Hills Drive is the address of the house that Cole live in while growing up). Eventually after the relationship began to turn sour, money went south and eventually lead to the house being foreclosed. (Don’t worry Cole bought it back when he got rich).

To reminisce on his life, Cole makes a statement that being broke is better and then asks two questions: What’s money without happiness and hard times with the people you love. Now, Cole goes into another tangent where you really have to understand Cole in order to get what he is saying. Remember in the introduction when I said that this was one of my favorite albums because it was a reflection of Cole’s mentality- he felt that he was losing his grip because he was criticized on the content of his last two albums (aka radio hits).  Again, Cole emphasizes that he feels that being broke was better. Still, I am confused but you really have to think about it. When you are broke, life is simpler, you enjoy the little things that life give you even though everything may not be pretty. But like Jay-Z said, with more money comes more problems. Because of this, it seems that Cole is seeing the other side that fame has to bring, He continues by explaining, (because he does not want to offend the people that are broke or struggling). He reiterates that he is a man that has seen both sides- being rich and being poor. Cole closes by making comparisons and claiming that no matter what you have, there will be someone out there that has it better. He is trying to get the message that happiness comes from the within; if you are not happy with what you have, you will always search for something that you claim to be better.

I am a firm believer that there is beauty in a struggle. Being a college student, I realized that the good things in life do not come easy. Sort of reminds me of my summer bridge experience (but that is a story for another day).

I love this song because I am glad that Cole gave me this message to spread to people who will never hear this song. I feel that in life, I do not want to make a ton of money, I just want to be comfortable and live my life with a happy family. Because what is money if you dont have anyone else to enjoy it with, what is happiness if you are always searching for the next big thing? If that mentality is adopted, you will find yourself in a never ending loop. So to all my fellow bloggers. Love Yourz. 

Listen to Love Yourz Below

8 thoughts on “J. Cole x Love Yourz (Passion Post #3)”

1. I loved reading your musical lyric analysis over the summer and have to say you’ve kept delivering fantastic interpretations. I like to listen to rap and J. Cole is one of the better artists in my opinion. I personally love a good beat with the song, but to me its the lyrics that really matter. That’s where J. Cole stands out from the rest. I love this song, the meaning behind it, the perspectives it makes you see and am glad you chose to interpret it. I look forward to seeing what else you will analyze next.

2. As a country music aficionado, I am happy I still read this post. I never analyzed lyrics to this measure, but I’m very glad this analysis shed a new light in listening to music. Not only did this song provide helpful life lessons, it also gives me a look into the various perspectives of influential people. I will definitely read your passion blogs more to gain insight on lyrical analysis.

3. Omg I love this song. You know I’m hip. I think that J. Cole has always been a phenomenal rapper but this album showed just how much he has actually grown. His music is so genuine and he is always passionate. Sometimes when I listen to his songs, I feel like I am hearing a coherent essay that is written in a poem, but still addresses counterarguments and uses evidence and personal anecdotes. I don’t know if you know what I mean, but basically his raps are impressive as essays but he puts them in terms that are understandable to us and catchy and personal.

P.S. There is beauty in everything. There is good and bad regardless of what side of the fence you are on. Yet, the other side always looks greener

4. Such an amazing song and album. The lyrics of Love Yourz truly makes you appreciate what you have and prove that the best shoes to walk in are your own. There was a story where a man practically stepped back from the ledge after listening to this song (you should google it). Anyways, 2014 Forest Hills Drive is so deep and has so much inspiration if you listen closely. My other favorite song on the album is “January 28th” which sends a similar message. Good work brother.

5. This was a really great post! I love your thorough analysis and appreciate you sharing this song as I was not familiar with it.

6. Vic, I love your blog! Your translations of lyrics in songs that are often misunderstood are essential. I, personally, am a big fan of J. Cole and believe e deserves more recognition and more fans than he has. Thank you for writing this piece to expand his message and his music to people who are not familiar with him.

7. I love this album of Cole’s. This song is so powerful. He is saying that wealth isn’t all it is made out to be- he keeps it real, which is really appreciating to a fan. I also love his positivity, to love life and not to take advantage of those who love you.

8. It’s truly amazing what a person can take away from a song, especially this one. There is beauty in the struggle, regardless of what you deem as your “struggle.” Not having it all allows you to appreciate what you do succeed in attaining and keeps you levelheaded in the long run. I’ve never thought about how deep J. Cole was with his lyrics, but after reading this I’ll definitely will listen to more to his music and lyrics.