Young Vic – Dreams (Passion Post #4)

I know that you guys know that I rap and I think it is time for me to do a lyrical analysis on another one of my songs. While I need to formal introduction I might as well tell you the story of how I got into rap in the first place.

Basically, during my freshman year of high school I wanted to find an activity that was productive and kept me occupied at the same time. One day I heard the radio and thought to myself, “If they can do it, I can do it and add some meaning to it as well.” Eventually, I started rapping people liked it and it went off from there. Like I said, I just love music.

Dreams is a song that I wrote that talks about my mentality on life and who I eventually plan to be one day. It also speaks about how I plan to make these dreams a reality through the journey that it will take.

Hook:  Got some, got some dreams x4

(First and only verse) I got dreams, some big and some small, no matter what they are I promise i’ll achieve em all. Supporting the fam and  becoming someone in life.. sometimes I think I want left and then i’m headed to the right man its a fight.. sometimes I have an inner conflict, a voice within my head telling me i’m not the s–t.. Sometimes i’m vulnerable, believing the stupid myths.. but realities comes, I take it and then I will not quit.. I flip the script.. At the end day, I have a solid foundation.. foundation so strong, that we believe God got us from satan, foundation so strong I play my fantasy with Peyton.. foundation so strong I can overcome any temptations.. i’m steady waiting.. like I said, Im writing all my goals praying they all get bigger.. I see the picture.. man I just figured.. life is a game and im playing it like billiards hoping one day Im balling out.. like the wizards.

I think I rap too much the about the world and not my life.. I want my fans to hear my thoughts, my emotion and advice.. i’m a born sinner but the world so damn cold.. But if something aint working switch it up before you’re old..

Lyrical Analysis and Interpretation: 

I open up the verse by saying I have dreams (I mean who doesn’t), this song was also inspired with a quote from Wale which said, “Life without dreaming is a life without a meaning.” I feel that if you do not have goals and are not working towards them each day, what is your purpose in life?

I then go on saying that I want to take care of my family (which I am sure that everyone wants to do as well). Then, I eventually get more personal by saying “I want left then I am heading to the right.” I feel that sometimes, I may bite more that I can actually chew and take too many things on at the same time. This is also a tangent that things may not always go as planed. Which is okay, because life still goes one.

I get even more personal by saying that “Sometimes I have an inner conflict, a voice in my head telling me im not the s–t” I feel that sometimes when I make a great accomplishment, I am fighting myself  by becoming the biggest pessimist. Personal Example: [ I graduated as the valedictorian of my class, but in my eyes I never seen  it as a big or a huge accomplishment, due to the area and the school district that I was in was not exceptional and up to par with the rest of the state.] I don’t know how it happens sometimes, but I feel that when things get hard I start to think that I was not cut out for it in the first place or if I succeed it was not through all my willpower.

Whenever I find myself at that pit, I always climb back up. Thats why I am always happy and cheerful all the time, because life is too short to throw a pity party every time. This is where reality finally hits me and then I feel that I can do anything. I feel that I can do anything because of the foundation that I have; I compare this foundation to faith in a religion, the strength to avoid temptations and using Peyton Manning in fantasy football (He even went on to win the Super bowl)!

I end the verse by saying I know all of my goals and I can see myself attaining all of them one day. That’s the “bigger picture” that I can see. I then compare life like a game, because I feel that anything can happen; but it depends on how well you can handle certain things and the practice/training that you have already had. I end on this tangent by comparing life, to a game of billiards. Like the game of life, I hope that I can “ball out” like the Washington Wizards. 

I end the song by explaining this song was one of my personal records. I feel that I rap a lot about the world that we live in, but somehow people do not understand the real young vic. I end with a double entendre by comparing myself to J. Cole by saying I am a “born sinner” (as he has had an influence on my music) and claiming that the world is cold (sounds like Cole and is reference to his sophomore album, Born Sinner).

Please give “Dreams” a listen below (Produced by Scoop Deville):

6 thoughts on “Young Vic – Dreams (Passion Post #4)”

1. This song is fantastic and your interpretation is awesome. I love how inspirational and personal your lyrics are. I appreciate how dedicated you are to being a good person. Your lyrics are incredibly relatable. Love it! Thanks so much.

2. Young vic, these beats are sick. It was great being able to see you perform at THON! Your lyrics are incredibly powerful. Although I don’t listen to much of it myself, the meaningful stories that rap can convey is incredible. Your song is catchy and the lyrics are fire. Bless up

3. This is a really good song. I think that any college student goes through similar thoughts/ experiences. Compared to high school, college is completely spontaneous you never know what the next day or lecture will bring. Didn’t you perform at THON? You did amazing by the way.

4. I really liked this post because I have listened to some of your work previously, but never really paid attention to the meaning of the lyrics. I must say they are really really good. You make the song very relatable as well, just as you noted during your analysis. I also believe your lyrics really hit on a lot of the major themes of late adolescence and the fading idealism at the end of youth. Your pessimism is experienced by so many and your comment about your valedictorian-ship is so applicable to other people’s feeling about their accomplishments and goals. Finally, I must say I am a big fan of your graduation hat. I would really appreciate if you would continue exploring your own work once and a while throughout this semester. I think you offer a really great perspective on things that your classmates may be able to related to heavily and I am excited to hear more from you.

5. This is a pretty amazing song. Only thing is the Washington Wizards do not ball out (unless they get KD when his contract is up). This is such a unique blog post because artists rarely do complete lyrical analyses on their own work. But here, you truly have allowed the audience to enter the mind of a music connoisseur (spell check your website title boi). Also, Spitfire would love to make a collaboration with you. Keep on rocking in the free world.

6. I really like the lyrics to your rap. Thanks for sharing it with me. It was also cool to understand the origins of the real young vic. It is interesting how you feel worse when you accomplish things because for many people, it is the other way around. Once I succeed, I usually feel as if I am on top of the world. Having this different perspective on life is partially what makes you such a good rapper.