RSS Feed

RCL Ted Talk

November 6, 2014 by Garren Christopher Stamp   

My paper should not be that hard to turn into a Ted Talk. I kept the Ted Talk in mind when writing my paper. Because of this, it is already laid out kind of like a speech so i don’t have to change the order or format in any major way. The only changes i might make is that i might move around the order in which i discuss the possible results for the future. Overall the format and order of my paper is fine for a Ted Talk.

The content is also pretty appropriate for a Ted Talk. I might shorten the background portion. It’s not that this information isn’t important, it is, its just that it that it would take up a lot of time during the speech. This would be ok but i have a lot of stuff to discuss that is directly related to the paradigm shift, not just providing backup info. The background section is still necessary to understand the shift that occurred, so it will still be in my speech, just a shorter version.

I also intend to add a little information to my Ted Talk that was not in my paper. When writing the paper i couldn’t find a place (or a need) to discuss and give examples of modern ultra-conservatives in detail. I briefly named a few more recent candidates when discussing the effects of the Ultra-Conservative candidates. For the speech i intend to talk about this with a lot more depth. I especially intend to discuss the two modern leaders of the ultra-conservative movement, Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. It is they who are most important to the ultra-conservative movement and therefore it is also them who will have the greatest impact on politics in the future.

Overall though I shouldn’t need to modify my speech in any major ways.

4 Comments »

1. tjg5335 says:

I agree that you should give examples of candidates and maybe some of their campaign. As for an organization strategy, I think your topic would work best in chronological order. It seems like this kind of goes with history leading up to today. I disagree about limiting the background info. I have no knowledge of politics and would greatly appreciate hearing the background of the paradigm shift.

2. Eric Hodge says:

Also, you could mention the results of the recent congressional elections.

3. Eric Hodge says:

I think that your decision to include examples of contemporary ultra conservatives is very insightful. I think it is important because it gives the topic relevance to your audience, especially since most of us are able to vote. Your proposal to project future implications of ultra conservatism will have the same affect. One suggestion I have is to consider the left as well, to project an ultimate trend of current politics. Although it may seem off topic, I think it is important to include both major political schools of thought because they are often reactionary.

4. Apurva Bhogale says:

It’s good you don’t need to research extra to give a successful ted talk. However, a TED talk is not a speech and you use that word here a lot. It’s more of a discussion I think (something that involved the audience or relates to it more than just a speech). I like the part where you mentioned speaking of specific events. Maybe you could include something like a perspective of the common mans life if he were to be under the jurisdiction of one of the ultra conservative leaders you mentioned. You could go through a few hypothetical situations to enlighten the audience how closely an american’s life is related to the government’s policy’s at the time. I would really like to see you incorporate the social contract theory in your TED talk (philosophy on citizen/govt dynamic). That way you can make it an interaction with the audience and not a speech because a TED talk is not a speech.

You must be logged in to post a comment.