RSS Feed

Ted Talk Reflection

November 18, 2014 by Garren Christopher Stamp   

Unfortunately I do not have my Ted Talk video. I don’t know what happened for sure, but I’m pretty sure that I pulled my flash drive out too early. I wanted to get out of there ASAP since my Ted Talk did not go at all like planned…

I think my main mistake was that the way I prepared my Ted Talk. I made a powerpoint for my speech. This powerpoint had pictures but it also had a good amount of words. I was under the impression that i would be able to see my powerpoint out of the corner of my eye while presenting. Because of this I put key facts ad examples on the slides. I memorized my basic ideas and major themes and was planning on relying on the powerpoint for the specific details. For example, I knew the basics of the cycle of growth caused by the creation of groups such as the Tea Party, but I was gonna rely on my powerpoint for specific groups and examples of this cycle. When I gave my speech I realized that i couldn’t see the words on the slides without awkwardly semi-turning around and breaking eye contact with the audience. I also couldn’t make out the words on the tiny screen to my right. This threw me off and i felt uncomfortable and uneasy with my speech which led to more mistakes.

Since I had lost my confidence early on I made other smaller but still important mistakes. I didn’t get to important examples, examples which I had planned on using as a Segway between my different slides. This interrupted the speeches flow and made it feel less unnatural. My lack of confidence also resulted in me fidgeting with the clicker out of nervousness and accidentally dropping it during the presentation. This might not have been that big of a deal but it felt like the final nail in the coffin for my Ted Talk. The rest of the speech I was unable to think about anything other than my previous mistakes. Because of this I rushed the rest of my speech, which didn’t turn out well.

Overall my Ted Talk did not go at all as planned and there are many mistakes I wish I could change.

»

You must be logged in to post a comment.