It’s Finally Spring!

The long winter is over and spring has arrived in Happy Valley! During the first couple weeks of warm weather, people are in better moods, campus looks even more beautiful with bright green grass sprawling everywhere, and parts of campus that were covered with snow have opened up again to be used underneath sunny skies.

dsc_0498-sm-elms-on-mall

Credit: pennstatermag.com

One of the things I love most about our campus is how much open space and greenery there is. What would a classic collegiate campus be without big, weathered trees to rest our backs on? The “mall,” the stretch of land that runs from the library to downtown, is lined with elm trees that have been a classic part of the scenery at Penn State. The first elm was planted back in 1890!

The mall is just one of many places to take advantage of now that spring has graced State College again. Check out my favorites!

1. The Creamery

977754_7443

Credit: statecollege.com

This is an obvious one, I know. But let me tell you, the first day it reached over 70 degrees, all I was craving was a WPSU Coffee Break ice cream cone, one of the Creamery’s Hall of Fame Flavors. It’s named after the the public broadcast channel! There are lots of tables right outside the creamery to study or hang out at and it’s next to some greenhouses to give you even more of a spring feel.

2. The Arboretum

Overlook Pavilion from event lawn summer

Credit: arboretum.psu.edu

71_959

Credit: statecollege.com

If you ever need a calming place to do some homework or just relax for a bit, the arboretum is a great place to visit. Next to the Katz Building (the law school), the garden is full of beautiful plants- over 17,000 to be exact! Not to mention the waterfall, tons of benches, and a pavilion.

3. The IM Fields

im-fb-copy

Credit: pennstatermag.com

Now that it’s warm, people can exercise freely outside again. Runners pop up everywhere on the streets of downtown and campus. However, if you’re like me and running is not your thing, head over to the IM fields with some friends for pick up touch football, soccer, baseball, even Quidditch games.

4. Medlar Field at Lubrano Park

medlar-field

Credit: Onwardstate.com

Speaking of sports… I seriously love going to Penn State baseball games. Student tickets are only $3! Where else can you enjoy a spring day at a ballpark for that kind of deal? The seating is not reserved so you can pick your favorite spot. Mine is behind the visitor’s dugout, that way I can rest my feet on the top. The view from the park looks out to Mt. Nittany and it’s just a great atmosphere. (Also: if you buy student tickets, they’re only $20 and you get a free tee shirt plus a batting practice with the team.) The park was named the 10th best park in college baseball by College Baseball daily last July.

5. Old Main Lawn

Campus-Old-Main-General

Credit: worldcampus.psu.edu

Credit: stateimpact.npr.org

This is the most popular place for students to soak in some sunshine once spring hits. At any given moment when the temperature is above 65 degrees, you will find students sprawled out all over the place whether they’re studying, playing frisbee, just hanging around, or eating lunch. The lawn is huge and overlooks College Avenue, one of the main streets downtown. It’s a great merging point of campus and downtown and one of the most scenic areas in State College.

6. The Hintz Center Gazebo

I walk by this gazebo every single day to get from my apartment to campus and all throughout winter I just couldn’t wait for it to warm up so I could sit in it comfortably. Right next to the Alumni Center, the gazebo is part of a courtyard with a pond and scenic little bridge where ducks tend to hang out. Didn’t get to use up the entire box of cereal before it went stale? Just feed it to the ducks instead. The gazebo is just so quaint and is somewhat tucked away so you can focus on work but still close enough to some of the main classrooms that you won’t be late to class.

Tags:

7 comments

1. The 3 week diet plan

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three

2. cameran eubanks husband

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three

3. paleofoodie.xyz

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three

4. laser hair removal toronto

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three

5. office cleaning estimate

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three

6. nike air jordan spizike

It’s Finally Spring! | Generation Three