A little goes a long way

1. In 150-200 words identify a species that has gone extinct and explain the circumstances surrounding the events leading to its extinction.
  2. In 150-200 words identify a species that has been placed on the endangered species list. Describe the events leading to it being placed on the endangered species list and the efforts taken to preserve and protect it.
  3. In 150-200 words explain what actions you can take in your community, or on a larger scale, to help ensure the preservation of biodiversity.

1. The Javan Tiger, native to Java Indonesia, was declared extinct in 2003. The tiger was identified, by the local population ever encroaching on the tigers habitat, to be a pest and was chased off to remote mountainous areas. As the tigers number dwindled they were moved again to Meru Betiri National Park Reserve. As was discussed in this week’s section the Meru Betiri National Park Reserve did not provide adequate protection and seems to be a ‘paper park’. The Javan Tiger was hunted to near extinction levels. Adding to this the continued loss of habitat and lack of prey, due to the fact they were moved out of their natural habitat, they were declared extinct in 2003. The last sighting of the tiger was reported back in 1976. This is a great example of what we discussed in module 10. Human interaction with a system, even though they did not intend for a negative outcome, produced the ultimate demise of this species of animal. What was not discussed but I am interested to know is if the result of this top predator becoming extinct resulted in any other negative impacts on the ecosystem. Did the animals the tiger preyed upon flourish? Perhaps they overconsumed their own food source and perpetuated a negative cycle that ultimately imposed negative consequences to the people that caused the tigers extinction.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/recently-extinct-animals/

1. The pangolin has been placed on the endangered species list. With eight species of pangolin they range from endangered to critical. Called the armored ant eater or the most hunted animal in the world, the pangolin is believed to be a source of great healing in Eastern medicine. In this case the current state of the pangolin is not unintentional human interaction with the ecosystem or their natural habitat. The threat is intentional and deliberate. The WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) along with other organizations is working to raise awareness and working with government agencies to protect this animal from wildlife crimes. While it is an uphill battle it is one that is required to ensure the survival of this species and others like it. What struck me as interesting with this animal is that it is pretty much in direct contrast of what we read about in module 10. The threat posed to this species is due to overhunting. Even with some loose and rarely imposed or recognized restrictions in place the pangolin is still being over hunted, without further intervention and preservation this species will not survive.
  2. I think the best way to help maintain biodiversity is to start small. Start in your own backyard. By studying up on native and invasive plant and animal species in your local region you can better identify those species that belong and do more to help them survive and flourish and the remove those that are invasive and causing destruction to the native species. It is also important to become more self-sustaining to reduce our impact on the environment. By utilizing your own garden and composting organic waste products you can effectively reduce the amount of pollution you put into the environment. By operating organically your will reduce the amount of chemicals via pesticides and herbicides you release into the ground to be transported into the waterways. By starting small you can encourage others to do the same, eventually not only you but entire communities can help make a difference. Lead by example and do what you can.

3 thoughts on “A little goes a long way

1. Hello! I’m Alisha Tyler-Lohr, a sophomore Stage Management Major! Here is a link to my blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/15/module-10-9/

I really enjoyed part two of your blog. I think that it is so important for people to understand how things become extinct as well as endangered so we as humans are able to help them better. I also think that you did a great job explaining how humans have been involved greatly in their hopeful recovery from endangerment. In my blog, I talked about how humans should be more interested in what’s going on with whales due to the fact that they not only are affecting their ecosystems, but how economic systems. Great post!

2. Brian, I thought it was very interesting how the Javan Tiger was declared extinct since it changed habitats. I also looked at an animal that was extinct and it was the galapagos penguin. The reason behind it has gone extinct mostly has to do with the actions of humans. Ranging from pollution to climate change they affect the environment in which the penguins live. It is very interesting to see how closely they are related and how one action can greatly affect another species. Check out my post http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/15/douglas-apple-module-10/

3. Hi Brian,

I like how you discussed extinct and endangered species. It was a different approach than I took, but it was pretty informative. I analyzed the effects of anthropocentric versus ecocentric values, and tied it in with spatial and temporal scales.
    However, both of us brought the discussion around to a local example, which is always helpful!

Hannah
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/15/58240/