Winter Fitness

winter fitness

I know that winter is coming to an end, but I thought that talking about working out in the winter would be a great way to finish out the season and give us tips for next winter.

Throughout the winter months, staying motivated to exercise and maintain a once outdoor routine slowly comes to an end. However there are many different ways to stay positive and be creative now that the snow has fallen.

Most important of all is to approach your winter exercise routine with a positive mindset. After all, there are some excellent advantages to exercising in winter. Winter is an ideal time to lose weight as your metabolism naturally speeds up to help keep you warm. Keep moving through winter and you’ll be a step ahead when the warm weather arrives.Remember that after winter follows the spring and summer seasons where wearing a bikini and tighter clothing is an everyday occurrence. So use that as your motivation to work out. Constantly staying in shape and working up a sweat will take the pressure off of losing the winter weight most people usually gain by sitting around during the winter. Try to remember why you worked so hard in previous months to stay in shape and realize that a healthier, happier, and fitter you is something that takes around the year work.

If you are a person who loves to exercise outdoors, take the winter months to try something new and change up your workout routine. Try getting a gym membership or even personal training sessions at a gym. Also try changing the time of day in which you work out. If you usually work out in the evening, trying giving working out in the morning a try. However if you love running outside that much stick to it. Be prepared for the winter weather by layering up and make sure to just be careful.

Something else new you can try is a winter sport. There is many different sports to try from such as snowboarding, skiing, and ice skating. If you are someone who likes to participate in sports than this might be for you. Personally I know I have always wanted to try skiing or snowboarding. The only reason I have not is because I am accident prone and I am afraid of getting hurt.

Even though they may not be the most hard core of workouts fun activities such as sled riding and having a snowball fight can be forms of exercise. They get you moving instead of you sitting inside on your couch like a couch potato. Also  these activities are something  fun for you to do with your friends on a cold, winters day.

The winter months can put people in a slump especially when it comes to staying in shape and working out but it does not have to be that way. Remember no matter what time of year it is there is always some type of exercising you can do to stay in shape.

2 Comments on Winter Fitness

1. Matt Keefe
    February 26, 2015 at 5:24 pm (9 years ago)

For me (and many others, I’m sure), the winter is always the hardest time to work out. When it’s a beautiful, 65 degree Spring day it’s easy to go for a nice 30 minute run but when it’s 5 degrees with a 20mph wind I take a little more convincing. However, I always feel a much greater sense of accomplishment when I finish a winter workout because it’s always that much harder. I remember one particular day during winter track in middle school the day after it had snowed 6 inches. The temperature was 2 degrees, but our coach decided it was a good day for hills on the roads. My teammates and I slipped on the ice, ran with our hands our pockets, and complained bitterly the entire time, but at the end, we completed the workout and it really was a great feeling. That said, I’m definitely ready for Spring!

2. akb5429

Marisa, I think that this post is really great! People have been so frustrated and overwhelmed by this weather lately, but you showed how we can make the best of it while bettering ourselves! I also think that this is especially informative and relatable to college students who usually struggle with fitness and have to walk everywhere, meaning that they’d especially be using this winter as an excuse! Keep up the good work!