Indoor Cycling

There is many different classes you can participate in at one of the fitness centers on campus. There are over 20 different classes ranging from Zumba, different types of yoga, and full body workout. One class that I participated in multiple times since the begin of the year was indoor cycling and I have found it to be a great workout.

Indoor cycling is a group exercise done on stationary bikes where the instructor simulates a bike ride. This class is perfect for all fitness levels a like and allows you to get the workout that you came to get. During cycling, you get to cycle to music that will push you through the hard hills and motivate you to go just a little bit faster. Each fitness center on campus has a different schedule for when they offer indoor cycling. If you attend one of these classes at a fitness center on campus make sure you bring a towel otherwise you will not be allowed to participate in the class.

There is both mental and physical benefits to indoor cycling. Some of the physical benefits of this class are weight loss, stronger heart and lungs, better sleeping patterns, and increased energy levels. Some of the mental benefits of cycling are relief from stress and anxiety, increased confidence about appearance, and improved ability to visualize and focus on a goal. All of these aspects can help you to achieve your fitness goals and also help you focus on all of your school work.

To get the maximum benefits out of indoor cycling, you need to make sure you are working in the right “zone”. This is determined by how hard your body is working during your workout and can be measured in two ways. The first way is by your heart rate. To find the correct zone, take the number 220 and subtract your age then multiply this by 70 percent. The number you will get will be your targeted zone. Next to find your heart rate simply find your pulse and count for 6 seconds then add a zero. The second method you can do is the talk test. This method is a lot simpler than the heart rate method. During your workout, say a full sentence. If you can’t finish the sentence, you are working to hard but if the sentence is easy to say you are not working hard enough. This means you should pick up the pace on your workout.

From personal experience, I can say that indoor cycling is not an easy class at first. The first time I took the class I even had trouble keeping up with the instructor. After the first couple of times taking the class, your body starts to adapt to the workout but the first few times you attend the class can be rough. However, if you push yourself to the fullest during the class you will feel nice and refreshed after it is all over. Oh and don’t forget sore. Your legs will definitely feel extremely sore the next day.

4 Comments on Indoor Cycling

1. Emma Behr
    March 24, 2015 at 5:32 pm (9 years ago)

Marisa, I have heard about spin classes but never actually saw one in the flesh! It actually sounds pretty fun! I think I would rather bike outside, but when it’s cold and icy, this sounds like a great alternative! Plus, it’s probably a good bit safer! I think it’s so cool that the instructor actually simulates a bike ride! It must be pretty amusing! Have you tried any other classes like the cycling class? Do you have any recommendations?

2. knt5104
    March 23, 2015 at 7:24 pm (9 years ago)

My parents sell fitness supplies for a living so they tend to be very physically fit people. But they usually stuck to treadmills up until recently for machines. Our entire basement turned into a fitness center for them, however, as they started to branch out into using other things. It was only recently they bought an indoor cycle and they’ve been using it constantly since then. They really enjoy using it and I am surprised at how much they’ve moved into using it. That being said, they haven’t joined any classes for indoor cycling. Do you think they should or do you think practicing on their own is fine?

3. Matt Keefe
    March 23, 2015 at 5:40 pm (9 years ago)

This is a really interesting post. I’ve always sort of wondered about spin classes because I’ve never done one or spoken to someone who has done one but they’ve always seemed a little silly to me. After reading this I’m a little more convinced about how serious of a workout it actually is but I don’t think I could ever work out while having someone pretending to be biking on a mountain yells at me to go faster. Personally, I’ve never been that big of a fan of stationary cardio workouts. It’s just a personal preference thing, but I hate running on treadmills or working out on ellipticals because it always just feels too fake to me and I always feel a little unsatisfied. If I get the chance I’ll definitely give it a try, though!

4. Priya Bose
    March 23, 2015 at 10:39 am (9 years ago)

At first glance, it appeared to be an easy workout, because you are just biking in place. However, from the way that you described it, it is an intense workout. How do the fitness levels in this class differ? Are people who are not that athletic able to keep up with the instructor? Also, are there rest periods for this class or are you just expected to power through the class? Personally, I like participating in the yoga classes at the fitness centers. Those classes are more my speed, and for me are a great way to work out.