Zumba/Power Remix

Recently I have been attending a fitness class with my friends called Power Remix. Power Remix is a dance class just like the popular class Zumba. Even though I have never went to a Zumba class, I have done Zumba on my Wii at home many times. I have always wanted to attend a class so I figured I would research it more and talk about it in this blog.

Zumba is a fitness class that is not like your typical workout. Instead of just basic workouts it is one giant dance party.One of the largest draws of Zumba and what makes it such a huge success is how fun and exciting it is to do. When you’re participating in a Zumba group class, it doesn’t really feel like you’re exercising. Instead, it feels more like you’re movin’ and groovin’ at a dance party or club. Zumba, along with other dance-style workouts, was ranked 9th in the top 20 fitness trends for 2012, according to the American College of Sports Medicine.

You can participate in a Zumba dance workout in a variety of ways, including doing Zumba at home with a workout video or interactive Zumba video game. This is the type of Zumba I have It may not seem effective, but as long as you push yourself the same you will see results. You can also take one of the broad range of Zumba classes offered. Zumba Fitness is a high-energy dance party. Aqua Zumba incorporates toning and cardio-conditioning in a low-impact water dance class. Zumba toning uses toning sticks or small free weights to tone your abs, thighs and arms. Kids can even get in on the Zumba action, with a Zumba Kids class, filled with age-appropriate music and dancing. These various types of specific Zumba classes are not offered here at Penn State, but it’s nice to know the different classes you can try sometime throughout your life.

Even though Zumba is lively and exciting, it can still give you a beneficial and effective workout. It’s a whole-body aerobic exercise that uses up a lot of energy and burns calories through dancing. Zumba can improve your flexibility, since there’s so much movement involved, and it can help to strengthen your core. Since you’ll burn an average of 369 calories in one class, it’s also an ideal way of aiding in weight loss or maintenance.

Both Zumba and Power Remix are offered here on campus at the White Building and IM Building. To see when these classes are offered you can go to Penn State’s fitness website and check fitness class schedules. I can not say much for Zumba because I have never taken the class, but I will say that Power Remix is quit the workout. Not to mention that the class is a lot of fun especially when you go with a bunch of friends. Also every instructor teaches the class differently so you never have to worry about the class being the same dances. So if you ever get the chance try a class like Zumba or Power Remix because I bet you will enjoy it.