Eating Healthy

A struggle that many of us have as young adults is eating healthy foods and not always the junky, fatty foods that seem appealing to most of us. I know personally this can be a struggle for me because something I like to do is snack on junky food. Snacking is not bad because it can help you from eating a large meal for example at dinner, but the problem is teenagers and young adults, like ourselves, tend to snack on items that are not good for our health.

All humans have to eat food for growth and maintenance of a healthy body, but that does not mean humans are eating the right way for the best possible health. Here are some tips for maintaining a good diet and healthy body:

• Eat three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner); it is important to remember that dinner does not have to be the largest meal.
  • The bulk of food consumption should consist of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products.
  • Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
  • Choose foods that are low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars; look at the labels because the first listed items on the labels comprise the highest concentrations of ingredients.
  • Control portion sizes; eat the smallest portion that can satisfy hunger and then stop eating.
  • Snacks are ok in moderation and should consist of items like fruit, whole grains, or nuts to satisfy hunger and not cause excessive weight gain.
  • Avoid sodas and sugar-enhanced drinks because of the excessive calories in the sodas and sugar drinks; diet drinks may not be a good choice as they make some people hungrier and increase food consumption.
  • Avoid eating a large meal before sleeping to decrease gastroesophageal reflux and weight gain.
  • Avoid heavy meals in the summer months, especially during hot days.
  • A vegetarian lifestyle has been promoted for a healthy lifestyle and weight loss;
  • People with unusual work schedules (night shifts, college students, military) should try to adhere to a breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine with minimal snacking.
  • When preparing food avoid using grease and frying foods in grease

If you don’t follow all of these tips does not mean you have unhealthy eating habits, these tips are here for promoting a healthier diet especially for people who would like to lose weight and stay in shape. Being at college is a lot harder when it comes to always eating healthy. At home, we would have home cooked meals and less of an option to get pizza, fries, and ice cream for a meal. However if you want to have a healthy diet and remain in good shape those items are something you have to learn  how to avoid. I’m not saying that you have to cut all fattening foods out of your diet, just limiting how often you eat them and the amount can make a real difference. This along with exercising a couple days a week is what will help you keep in shape and get your body ready for the approaching summer.

3 Comments on Eating Healthy

1. Priya Bose
    April 9, 2015 at 5:30 pm (9 years ago)

Eating healthy at Penn State has been a challenge for me, especially on those cold winter nights when I did not want to leave the warm dorm to go and get food. I like how you bolded the phrase “college students” in your blog, because as Aneri said, “it is highly relatable.” I am guilty of snacking any time I want to regardless of what time it is. It also does not help either that i have a pantry full of processed food like popcorn or York Peppermint Patties to snack on too. The tips that you gave in this blog are very useful and I am going to try to adhere to them. I always like reading your posts, as you provide information in a topic that is very hard for many students: health. College students are known for being unhealthy, which is probably why the “freshman 15” idea became a notion that everyone knows. Great Job on your blog!

2. Emma Behr
    April 9, 2015 at 5:18 pm (9 years ago)

Hi Marisa! Thank you for the advice! I know how hard it is to stick to the rules. I am a vegetarian and I don’t eat bread or bread products but currently sugar is the hardest thing to avoid! It is in everything and is truly poison for your body, so avoiding it is my new endeavor. I am so glad you included something about vegetarianism — it is the best! And it is so true what you said; eating healthily at home is infinitely easier than at college when we have far less control over what we consume.
    I would suggest to you to include your sources for both the image and the content just for good measure. Especially with something like this when I would like to research further!
    Again, thanks for the tips!

3. akb5429
    April 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm (9 years ago)

Marisa, I always find your blogs very informational and relatable. I like that you bolded “college students” as this is especially relatable to that group of people. I know that I am most definitely guilty of excessive snacking during the day and at night, and almost never get myself three solid meals per day. Keep up the awesome work!