The Beginning of the End

Dear Readers,

I have come to report only good news on all fronts! As you might know, I have recently battled a dragon. Not a real one, naturally, but rather the dragon of my internship: the event that I had to plan. Luckily, I can honestly say that all went well!

The event was entitled “Climate Change in Developing Countries: Impacts and Solutions.” A short film about water shortages in the horn of Africa opened the event, with a panel discussion following. Three panelists (Peter Buckland from the Sustainability Institute, Bryan Cwik from the Rock Ethics Institute, and Michael Jacobson from the Forestry Resources Department) led the discussion, and all brought their own research interests and expertise to the table. All-in-all, the diversified interests of the panelists allowed for a look into many aspects of the impacts of climate change in developing countries.

The dragon wasn’t so scary, after all.

The unexpected. The dragon. The journey. This, my dear readers, is the beginning of the end.
I began this internship where all internships begin—the beginning, where I found myself caught in the ups and downs of newsletters, blogs, and after-school clubs with children. What followed was the “dragon” event, which I happily reported above as a success. And now, dear readers, I find myself facing the last three weeks of my internship. Less than a month. The time has flown, that is for sure. What is not so sure, however, are my feelings about this end. Because, in reality, this end is not really “the end.” Instead, it is the beginning of a new chapter, the chance to advance the skills and to pursue my international interests, wherever they may take me. I do not know where I will be next year, but I know that at the Center for Global Studies I have gained valuable skills and knowledge that will always be with me.

Well, dear readers, it’s been a pleasure.

Until next time,

Megan Romania