Departing Thoughts

This internship has been an interesting experience for me. I have a passion for travel and international issues, so the internship seemed like a good fit. The Center for Global Studies was my first choice for the internships I applied to, so I was thrilled to have been offered the position. Because it was my first internship experience, I came in with little/no expectations.

I was immediacy immersed with tasks and had to ask for a lot of guidance initially, but as time went on I began to understand the position more and more. Recently, I decided to take matters into my own hands with our newsletter. In the beginning, the Newsletter task seemed very difficult to me because there were virtually no guidelines. After speaking with Sarah and Mary we agreed creating a Newsletter Guideline would be helpful for future interns. Using the Chicago Manuel of Style, I was able to create a detailed checklist of every aspect of the newsletter to make sure the newsletters would be consistent in the future. I hope this checklist makes the process of figuring out how to complete the newsletter in the future.

What I have discovered from this internship is I love working in collaborative environments. I also learned to work in collaborative environments you need to be open to others ideas, which I continued to exercise throughout the semester by constantly asking for feedback from other interns. I also learned love challenging myself in creative ways (i.e. the flyer, event planning). I would hope my future opportunities allow me to think outside the box. Overall, it was a great experience, I was able to meet my goal of getting hands-on Public Relations experience in the field and I can’t wait to see what other opportunities I encounter.

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 4.02.06 AM

I loved immersing myself in the event planning: me interacting with a participant during our World Stories Alive series