A Final Goodbye

The year I spent at the Center for Global Studies gave me confidence in my future career plans.  Prior to this internship, I could not pinpoint a solid career path based on my dual majors of Global and International Studies (GLIS) and International Politics.  These majors are broad and could result in a career in the government, a non-government organization or lead to graduate school, law school and who knows what else.  I was in a discouraging fog because I did not know how to turn my studies into a practical career.  However, after a year of working at the Center for Global Studies I view my majors in a new light because of the inspiring people I had the honor of working with and meeting.  

Two of the most inspiring people that I had the opportunity to learn from and work with were Sarah and Mary.  Every step of the way they were there to challenge me and support me as I stepped out of my comfort zone. 

A few things that I learned was how to be open to critique, how to interview high profile professionals, how to write press releases, design posters and write articles for a newsletter.

What started out as a simple desire to acquire an internship turned into an experience of a lifetime filled with lessons on patience, teamwork, interviewing, photography, design, writing and computer skills.  These new skills will allow me to present a new level of expertise in future internships and careers.  Another added bonus to this internship was the World Stories Alive series were I had the opportunity to work with children and explore new languages and cultures.  This will be extremely useful as I study abroad this summer in Amman, Jordan.  

Interning at the Center for Global Studies has expanded my global knowledge and awareness through first hand experience in a professional setting.  

I wish you all the best and I’m looking forward to seeing the amazing things that the CGS puts one.

Rana Mohamed