Tradition!- Wedding Cakes Part 2

cuttingSo, as I mentioned before, the tradition of wedding cakes spreads much farther than a dessert, and even a center piece. The traditions involving the cake can range to everything from sweet and simple to awkward and messy. It seems like everyone has some opinion of the best way to pay tribute to their special day.

cake smashingLet’s start with cake cutting! With this one generally the bride and groom place their hands atop each other and slice the first piece. Basically the idea is for the newlywed couple to symbolize their eternal commitment to each other. Now, closely connected to the idea of this is the tradition of feeding each other the cake… or smashing it in each other’s face.  Now, here the idea is to live up to the “love and care” idea. The smashing was a gradual development, and in my mind, an icing beard doesn’t go with a rented tuxedo and dress that makes textbooks look like a dollar store purchase.

There is also the top tier tradition. The bride and groom wrap and freeze the top tier of thetop tier cake to save for their first anniversary. Interesting, but from a cake nazi perspective, you and your love bird will be eating dry freezer burnt cake. But congrats! You made it to one year! Anyway, I digress.  Still, this tradition is a personal favorite of mine.

Finally, one for the guests! It is said that sleeping with a piece of cake under your pillow will cause one to dream of your own future lover. Now, as I am sure you can imagine, this tradition has the potential to get a little messy. So, to remedy this issue sometimes cake figurines are given out as favors. The surprising thing is that this tradition is actually over three hundred years old!

Now, the usage of all of these traditions really varies from couple to couple. Really, it is however you want to spend your day, icing beard or not.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Tradition!- Wedding Cakes Part 2

1. Pingback: 3 Wedding Traditions That Are Baloney | Bridal Party Tees

2. Caitlin Edinger says:

These traditions are so interesting, and it is always neat to see why they emerged! However, I agree. If my future husband slams cake into my face at my wedding, I may have to use the knife in a less constructive way than cake slicing. The top tier concept is cool, though I do not know how well the cake would stay preserved…

Hiding the cake under your bed is so bizarre though! I always love talking to you about these things! Great work, once again!

3. Ryan Sosnader says:

Its cool to see all the tradition that has developed over hundreds of years of wedding cakes. I never knew about the freezing the top tier part but that is a pretty cute one.