An Interview with an International Ice Skater

This week, I was fortunate enough to interview 19-year-old Jack Newberry, an international ice skater representing Great Britain. Jack lives and trains in London, England at the Lee Valley Ice Centre. He is coached by his father Christian Newberry, the 1989 Great Britain national champion (also famous for his on-ice back flips) and skates along with his brother, 15-year-old Graham Newberry.

Check out this brief glimpse into an international skater’s world:

How old were you when you first started ice skating?

I was 1.5 years old when I started skating.

How many hours a day do you train, on and off the ice? 

I train on weekdays mostly. 3 hours on ice, and any where from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours off ice.

What’s it like having your dad as a skating coach?

It takes a lot of pressure off me as coaching is one of a skater’s biggest expenses, so I can take a lot of lesson time without burdening my family.

Favorite jump and spin? Are you more of a jumper or a spinner?

I prefer lutz jump, personally. Camel spin is my favorite. I prefer jumps as spins can be boring.

Favorite song to listen to while practicing?

I don’t have any preferences to what I listen to while skating. I’m normally focused on my skating, not the music.

Do you have any special routines or “good luck mantras” that you practice before you compete?

Before I compete I just do my program in my head repeatedly. I can visualize the entire 4:40 program perfectly and see and count even the smallest steps I’ll take.

What do you eat the day of a skating competition?

I don’t eat much before I compete as nerves make me sick. I can eat oranges though for energy and usually consume them about one hour before I skated.

Out of all your competitive programs, which one is your favorite and why?

My favorite program has been my long program from the 2013/14 season. It was parts from the New World Symphony and I love that piece of music.

Who designs your competition wear?

I currently use Revella Skate Wear for my competition outfits.

Where have you traveled to compete? 

I have traveled across Europe many times to complete. I’ve been to Germany, Estonia, Slovakia, Hungary, Latvia, and Poland to compete. 

Have you had any injuries to cope with in your skating career?

Yes, I have had injuries. Most notable is my broken femur, which I did not know was broken. The bone chipped away and floated and moved behind my knee cap. After one year of pain from that, I had two surgeries to remove the bone pieces. I was 16 at the time.

Who do you admire in the skating world? Do you channel them in anyway?

There isn’t anyone in particular I admire. I compete against some of the top skaters you see on TV. I do respect them as my competitors, but I don’t admire them.

What’s your most embarrassing and your most glorious skating moment?

My most embarrassing moment would be when I first went internationally and competed. I used up all my energy for a four-minute program in less than two minutes (a rookie mistake) and failed the rest of the program. My most glorious moment was achieving the world qualifying scores for long program. I was the first British skater to ever achieve those scores at an ISU international event.

If you weren’t an international skater, what would you be?

If I didn’t skate, I don’t know what I’d be. I play piano at a relativity high level as just a hobby, so maybe somewhere with music. But I’d like to be a teacher as well. I’d love to travel abroad as an English teacher.

Do you have any particular thoughts that get you through tough programs and practices?

On bad days, I just clear my mind from any negative thoughts that a bad day would give you. Holding on to them just makes for more bad days. It’s important to remember that bad days happen to everyone and you just need to tough them out as best you can.

Many thanks to Jack for his willing participation!