Don’t know what to do this summer? Here are a few ideas from your friends in the Career Services Office:
1. Build or update your resume to include new academic and work-related skills. Need help? See examples on our website. You can email or bring in your resume to the Career Services office (Room 216 EAB) for a critique.
2. Prepare a sample cover letter and create or update your list of professional references.
Remember, a) your actual cover letters need to be customized to the specific organization or position, and b) people need to be asked in advance if they will serve as a reference for you.
3. Use INTERVIEW STREAM, our on-line resource, to practice interviewing.
4. Research careers using links on the Career Services website, such as “What Can I Do With This Major?”
5. Get experience by interning, working at a summer job, volunteering, job shadowing or interviewing professionals in your field.
6. Activate and use your free Nittany Lion Career Network account (NLCN) to look for an internship or summer job.
7. Set up a professional LinkedIn Profile to build your network of contacts, and ‘clean up’ any other social media sites you are on.
8. Prepare for fall recruiting: see numbers 1-7 above.
9. Meet with a Career Counselor to review your plans.
Phone for an appointment: (717) 948-6260.
10. (Add your own career planning idea here!) and Have a great summer!