Put a different spin on taco night with this healthy recipe for corn and black bean burritos. This recipe makes about 12 servings, so call your friends over, and have a meatless meal!
1/4 cup scallions (green onions), sliced into 1/4” pieces, including green tops
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup salsa or taco sauce (choose the option with the least sodium)
12 whole-wheat tortillas (9”)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine scallions, celery and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
3. Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 mins. until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
4. Combine avocado, cilantro and beans in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese and salsa and mix.
5. When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
6. In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
7. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
8. When all tortillas are wrapped, place in a baking pan and bake for 5 minutes, until burritos are warm and cheese is melted.
Have a photo of this recipe? Tag us on Twitter or Instagram with it, and we’ll add it here!