Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
by Marina Kakavelos
This is a healthy, delicious, and easy alternative to pizza that’s also wheat free! The best part is that it’s completely customizable so feel free to experiment with your own favorite pizza combinations. I decided to top mine with mozzarella cheese, spinach and grape tomatoes. This recipe feeds 2 but again, it’s easily adjustable for a dinner party of any size!
To start out, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Then, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps (many grocery stores sell them in packs of 2-5 in plastic wrap for under $5)
- 1 small jar of pizza or tomato sauce of any kind
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of raw baby spinach
- A small container of grape tomatoes
- Scoop out some of the insides of the mushrooms with a tablespoon, deepening the space for your fillings
- Spoon as much tomato sauce as desired into the mushrooms, leaving space for the rest of your toppings
- Add the spinach leaves on top of the sauce, followed by your shredded cheese
- Cut the grape tomatoes into halves and place on top of the cheese
- Place your mushrooms in a lightly greased casserole dish, and bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes (or until the cheese is melted and golden)
- Take the dish out of the oven and let the mushrooms cool for about 10 minutes, they’ll be extremely hot!
- Enjoy your mushrooms with a fork and knife, or put them in the refrigerator and eat them like a regular slice of pizza!