by Ashley Hassett, HealthWorks Peer Educator
This colorful and zesty vegetarian taco salad tastes amazing! Packed with protein and fiber from the beans, this recipe will keep you satisfied and energized.
Makes: 6 servings, about 1 ½ cups each
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, garnish with lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
See the link below for photos and more delicious recipes.