Did you know that Health Promotion and Wellness offers some great resources to help students? Whether you’re looking for fun things to do that don’t involve alcohol or you’re interested in learning more about the effects of alcohol, HPW has you covered.
Here are some important facts you should know about alcohol:
- 66.3% of Penn State students reported having had to “baby-sit” a student who drank too much (1).
- 53% of students at Penn State report not engaging in high-risk drinking, while 21% of students are not drinking at all (1).
- 1 in 4 college students report academic consequences due to their alcohol use (2).
- 1,825 college students die per year due to alcohol related injuries, including overdoses (2).
- 20% of college students meet the criteria for a Substance Abuse Disorder (2).
If you are concerned about your alcohol use or a friend’s alcohol use, help is available. For more information or to schedule a confidential, free appointment, call 814-863-0461 or schedule through myUHS.
Additional resources at Penn State:
- Collegiate Recovery Community
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Healthy Penn State
If your student organization or club would like to learn more about alcohol, schedule an alcohol workshop provided by HealthWorks peer educators.
- Student Affairs Research and Assessment Penn State University. (2017). Student Drinking Spring 2017. Retrieved from https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/assessment/analysis-reports/pulse-student-drinking-survey
- (2015, Dec.) College Drinking. Retrieved from https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov.