Fall 2018 Wellness Activities
This fall, Health Promotion and Wellness will offer a wide selection of free activities for students. The activities are intended to appeal to a broad range of interests and will be available as part of four unique series.
Every Wednesday from 4:00 to 4:45 p.m., Healthworks student volunteers and Healthy Penn State peer mentors will guide students through new and engaging activities as part of “Wellness Wednesdays.” Each 45-minute session is designed to provide students with an opportunity to relax, take a break from their academic schedules and learn strategies to help manage daily stressors. Activities are meant to help students gain skills that they can use in everyday life. Examples of activities include:
- Guided nature walks with meditation
- Learning how to unplug from technology
- Using breathing techniques to destress
Wellness Wednesday activities will be held every Wednesday during the fall semester beginning Aug. 29. Students will gather in the HPW Wellness Suite, 20 Intramural Building.
HPW will host three full day (9 a.m.–4 p.m.) wellness retreats this fall. During the retreats, students will have an opportunity to engage in meditation, yoga, art and mindfulness activities, intuitive eating and more.
Students must reserve space in advance by emailing email@example.com, or by calling 814-863-0461. All retreats are free and lunch will be provided. The retreats will take place on campus in the Intramural Building or Pasquerilla Spiritual Center. Dates include:
- Saturday, Sept. 8 (must reserve spot by Aug. 31)
- Saturday, Oct. 20 (must reserve spot by Oct. 12)
- Saturday, Nov. 10 (must reserve spot by Nov. 2)
Mark Agrusti of the Dharma Lions at Penn State, will lead four meditation sessions to help students learn stress management strategies. The sessions are independent of each other and students are not required to attend all four sessions. Sessions will be held from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. in the Wellness Suite, 20 Intramural Building. Dates and topics include:
- Tuesday, Sept. 11 – Mindfulness and Stress Reduction Techniques
- Thursday, Oct. 8 – Learn to Meditate
- Tuesday, Nov. 6 – Calming the Mind with Meditation
- Tuesday, Dec. 4 – Relaxation Meditation
Fall Wellness Activities
HPW will host a variety of activities in the Wellness Suite on Thursdays from 5:15 – 6:15 p.m. Dates and topics include:
- Oct. 4 – Yoga
- Oct. 11 – Art as Meditation
- Oct. 18 – Learn to meditate
- Nov. 1 – Game night, coloring and puzzles
- Nov. 15 – Knitting and overnight oats
- Nov. 29 – Pilates
Advanced registration is not required to attend wellness activities. All materials will be provided.
For more information about the wellness activity series, or any series being offered this fall by Health Promotion and Wellness, email firstname.lastname@example.org.